Help! Wheel bearing hub replacement problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Wheel bearing hub replacement problem

butlerbmac

Reaction score
City, State
Bakerstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie
Help! I'm in the middle of front wheel bearing replacement on a 2003 Eddie Bauer. I got great tips from this site for doing this (the 15mm deep offset box wrench makes a big difference!)

My problem is I have the three backside bolts loose and have pushed the axle spline in about 1/8" with a 3 jaw puller (to be sure the spline is free), but I cannot get the hub off the knuckle. About 1/2" of the backside of the bearing hub fits in a counterbore of the knuckle and being a PA vehicle I'm assuming it's corroded in place.

Any tips on breaking this free? All of the instruction posts detailed trobles with the bolts or breaking the spline free, but everyone else seemed to have no trouble with the hub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help! I'm in the middle of front wheel bearing replacement on a 2003 Eddie Bauer. I got great tips from this site for doing this (the 15mm deep offset box wrench makes a big difference!)

My problem is I have the three backside bolts loose and have pushed the axle spline in about 1/8" with a 3 jaw puller (to be sure the spline is free), but I cannot get the hub off the knuckle. About 1/2" of the backside of the bearing hub fits in a counterbore of the knuckle and being a PA vehicle I'm assuming it's corroded in place.

Any tips on breaking this free? All of the instruction posts detailed trobles with the bolts or breaking the spline free, but everyone else seemed to have no trouble with the hub.

Soak the "joint" between the hub and spindle in PB Blaster. Perhaps apply a little heat, if you like. Next, either start wailing on it with a hammer, or use an air hammer, with a flat chisel. Place the chisel on the HUB itself (since it's junk anyway), close to the edge, but pointed so the force is still "pushing" he hub out away from the vehicle. This should get them seperated pretty quick. If not, carefully use the chisel at the actual "joint". Again, it shouldn't take much to get them seperated.

I had this issue too, the best solution is to to slowly tap around the hub to break it free. Then wire brush or sand the area and apply some grease to it before putting the new one in.

Got it off.

Thanks carguy31.... I just got the hub off. I tried the chisel at the junction but the knuckle being aluminum was taking the brunt of the damage. Moving up to a 5 pound hammer made the most difference. I hope the ball joints and tie rod ends forgive me. Heat and penetrating oil get the assist.

It fought me the whole way - as expected disimilar metal corrosion. Spline pulled fairly easily.

Appreciate the help. Great forum.

applying a film of anti-seize wouldn't hurt on the new one so you wont have the same problem next time

Thanks carguy31.... I just got the hub off. I tried the chisel at the junction but the knuckle being aluminum was taking the brunt of the damage. Moving up to a 5 pound hammer made the most difference. I hope the ball joints and tie rod ends forgive me. Heat and penetrating oil get the assist.

It fought me the whole way - as expected disimilar metal corrosion. Spline pulled fairly easily.

Appreciate the help. Great forum.

oh yeah.....:rolleyes: I kinda forgot that you have aluminum spindles. Mine are cast iron, so they take a bit more chisel abuse. Glad you got them off.

I agree with the other suggestion, about using some antisieze. I'd put it in the "cup" where the hub sits, as well as on the axle splines.

Back