• Register Today It's free!

Help! which used Explorer to buy

scwood

Reaction score
City, State
Easley,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford crown victoria
I am doing research on ford Explorers (2005 -2008).Would like to buy one in the future.Are there any year models to avoid,Which engines are better (v6 or v8)what about transmitions?Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to Edmunds, there are twelve 2010 Eddie Bauers within 200 miles of you. Not one with a V8.

Since you're a Crown Vic kind of guy, I'd suggest getting a Town Car instead :) If you just have to have a truck, get a 2009 or 2010 with a V8. You'll probably have to be patient or drive pretty far to get one. You'll pay a premium as well. (Get the Town Car!)

According to Edmunds, there are twelve 2010 Eddie Bauers within 200 miles of you. Not one with a V8.

Since you're a Crown Vic kind of guy, I'd suggest getting a Town Car instead :) If you just have to have a truck, get a 2009 or 2010 with a V8. You'll probably have to be patient or drive pretty far to get one. You'll pay a premium as well. (Get the Town Car!)

I have a silverado 2000 Z71 extra cab. This will be third auto for my overnight fishing , hunting trips (sleep in back of Suv)The wife will drive it to haul groceries ,potting soil ect.

scwood, if this is just a Hunting/Fishing trip truck and your not going to be hauling a huge camper/Bass boat then a V6 Explorer would fit just fine. I have a 2008 Explorer XLT with the V6. I had a Crown Victoria and a Jeep Cherokee prior to this and I still will take my Explorer! Its a nice ride on the highway and for the limited amount off road I go its stable and capable. I don't pull any large loads or large trailers.

Radiators can be a bit sketchy! Its a bad design.
V-8 can have some spark plug issues. Its well documented along with the fix for it!
Transmissions are no worse than any others in my opinion!
Wheel Bearings can go early!

Don't let these things scare you all have been well documented and the easiest ways to fix them have been posted on this site! You will find the best guys on the web right here when it comes to fixing a Explorer!

I bought my Explorer last September and so far I have replaced the following items!

Blower motor Resistor $35.00
Front Driver side wheel bearing $207.00
Headlight Switch Light bulb $5.00
Ignition Switch $42.50
Radiator $152.06

Total 4441.56

I do not consider that to be too bad. I was able to do all the repairs my self. I don't include Preventative maintenance, I only worry whats above and beyond that as my indicator of a vehicles cost! I also do not include any upgrades I do to my vehicle in my costs.

I did change the Headlights to Silver stars (i know its all opinion if they make a difference)and I also replacde the bulbs in the driving lights from the weak 9145 to 9005 bulbs.

Find a explorer that feels and looks good to you and that you can fit into your budget! Mine has what I like, I didn't get the navigation or sync, but honestly I only use a GPS when driving on vacation and I don't talk on my phone unless I am stopped! so neither was a loss for me but it may be an option you have to have! I didnt need a onboard entertainment system because I have a whole vehicle set up that I put in and take out for long trips, again you may want that. Good luck in your search!

If I were to replace mine, I'd get 09-10 v8.

05 model is the older design, different v8 and tranny.

2006 is when they went to a stiffer structure (better ride, etc), beefed up the V8 (from 2V to 3V per cylinder), and the V8 went from 5-speed to 6-speed (V6 retained the 5-speed).

2007 they added a proper door pull for the front doors.

Sometime in 2008 mid-year, they changed the head & spark plug design to greatly improve the problems when servicing the plugs. If you could confirm you have a later model 2008, I'd go for that.

Blower motor Resistor $35.00
Front Driver side wheel bearing $207.00
Headlight Switch Light bulb $5.00
Ignition Switch $42.50
Radiator $152.06

Total 4441.56​

Yikes Polizi, you're a few grand off there (happy fingers I think).

I'd cry if I had to put $400 into it, let alone $4,400! :eek:

BTW, where are you at in Northeast Ohio? I'm over in Mentor.

Yikes Polizi, you're a few grand off there (happy fingers I think).

I'd cry if I had to put $400 into it, let alone $4,400! :eek:

BTW, where are you at in Northeast Ohio? I'm over in Mentor.

If I would slow down I would have made that first 4 a $...lol

I dont like having to shell out money for repairs either but it is worth it to keep my ride nice and road worthy. Ornery I live in the Township of Brim!

http://www.brimfieldohio.gov/

I'd recommend the 2008-10 V8 Explorer if you can. Apparently the V6 does not get much better mpg than the V8 and you'll get a stronger engine and better towing ability. If you get a 2006-08 V8, just know about the sparkplug issue. The V6 model has more radiator issues.

Don't get a 2006 V6 unless you like replacing radiators. Sincerely, On Radiator #3 .

Back