Help with 2001 sport track not starting. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with 2001 sport track not starting.

Bbeecroft84

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
Fuel pump went out, changed it. Ran good for a day, next morning started fine backed out driveway and dies. And will not start back. Cleaned sensors change the maf checked iac. Will start for a second if shoot carb cleaner in it. Fuel pump come on, pulled o2 sensors no start. Not sure what it could be any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pressure?

Since it starts on carb cleaner you have spark and compression. I assume that you have a fuel problem. Does the THEFT indicator flash rapidly? On my 2000 Sport when an unrecognized key is used in the ignition the PCM disables the fuel injectors. Have you tried a different ignition key? If not a PATS issue I suggest that you measure the fuel pressure.

Only have one key, theft light blinks like normal every 2 secs. Did not know if it could be the ecm. Have someone bringing a voltage meter and will start checking things. Do not have a way to check fuel pressure, but pump comes on a pressures line then goes back off.

Pats

It's probably not a PATS issue if the THEFT indicator is not rapidly flashing. And no, you can't bypass PATS except with a custom tune. Since the engine starts on carb cleaner I doubt that you have an electrical problem unless its the pump. The pump should run for a couple seconds when the ignition is switched on. It also should run when the starter is cranking. It is hard to tell anything without measuring the fuel pressure. Did you replace the hose from the fuel pump to the fuel pressure regulator? Did you install quality hose clamps? Did you replace the fuel sock (filter)?
FPAssy1.jpg

FPAssy2.jpg

You might try switching the ignition on and off several times before cranking the starter. If the engine starts then you probably have low fuel pressure. Did you check the fuse that powers the injectors?

Turns out it was the new fuel pump, hooked pressure check to it and was less than 10lbs. Took pump back for replacment and fired right up. Thank yall for the help. Leave it to autozone huh.

problem found

I'm glad you found the problem. Hopefully, the replacement will last longer than the other one. Just a note: never run a pump dry for more than a few seconds to test it. The fuel acts as a coolant and if the pump is running while dry it will quickly overheat.

bad fuel pumps

hi, just wanted to say that AUTOZONE fuel pumps for sport tracs suck..i replaced 4 within 6 weeks. all were defective!! the last pump i installed came from Orielys , it was the same pump with a different power connector, you must convert. the pup has now been in use for over a year, no problems..and yes mine is identical to the above pix..with 70-80ish lbs pressure..

Back