Help with 2013 police interceptor suv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with 2013 police interceptor suv

cbx9r

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford police intercep
I just purchased a 2013 police interceptor explorer. This thing is baddass! but of course the interior needs some sprucing up ...Any suggestions on a center console (shift is on the column on the PI). There is an option through ford in the under cover PI, but you have to buy it part by part and through ford it is over $3000. No that's not a typo!....This thing also has a 3.7 engine anyone know of any options for aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake?

Thanks
Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may look into purchasing a used console from a 2013 civilian model and then changing out the few parts that may be different. I looked into this for someone with Taurus model and it was still pricey. If you are insist on OEM you will pay for it when it comes to buy it part by part. Check ebay now and then...saw an OEM PI console go for about $300 once.

Passenger Doors

Cant open the passenger doors from the inside (cop Thing), They are unlocked but cant open from the inside. Any suggestions?
Also the interior lights will not come on when the door is open....

Regarding the dome light issue you need to take it to the dealer or someone who has IDS and a VCM2 and have them disable the dark car feature.

For the door handles either they disconnected the rods or never installed them at the time of installation. Take the door panel off and see if the rods are there. Or maybe the child safety lock is flipped. I know some depts. just do it that way (not advisable but they do it anyway).

first, try popping the round covers off on the back doors, this hides the child locks (yep, that's all they do on these). If that doesnt work, you'll need to remove the panels and reconnect the yellow latch cables to the pull handles, the tiny cylinder at the end of the cable is wrapped in foam tape. takes 5 minutes to do each side

Interceptor Utility - Enabling rear door release handles

I have a 2013 Police Interceptor Utility that came with the option of rear door handles on the inside disabled and the option that has the hidden rear manual lock plungers. Question is... what can I do to modify this to make it back to normal where I would have normal manual lock plungers and working interior door release levers for my rear doors. Any help on resolving this would be appreciated.

Pulling off the door panel should show that the cable for the door handle simply isn't connected to the handle. Easy fix.

As for the hidden plunger I am afraid you would have to buy new parts to make it like the civilian door. You would have to look to see how it is set up and then determine what parts you would need and replace them.

Are you talking an equipment console or a console such as the civi models?

Pulling off the door panel should show that the cable for the door handle simply isn't connected to the handle. Easy fix.

As for the hidden plunger I am afraid you would have to buy new parts to make it like the civilian door. You would have to look to see how it is set up and then determine what parts you would need and replace them.

I actually had the plungers stuck in my glove box when I had my car delivered. From the parts catalog image, it looks like they clip in where the hidden plungers connect. I'll verify tomorrow as well as post the part number for them

I actually had the plungers stuck in my glove box when I had my car delivered. From the parts catalog image, it looks like they clip in where the hidden plungers connect. I'll verify tomorrow as well as post the part number for them

OMG... After reading this reply it all makes sense now. I was wondering what the heck were those two pieces taped together in my glove box when I had mine delivered.

I just ordered two of of these from my local ford dealer last night online for about $24/pair. Hopefully I can cancel it.

Regarding the dome light issue you need to take it to the dealer or someone who has IDS and a VCM2 and have them disable the dark car feature.

For the door handles either they disconnected the rods or never installed them at the time of installation. Take the door panel off and see if the rods are there. Or maybe the child safety lock is flipped. I know some depts. just do it that way (not advisable but they do it anyway).

I had my dark car feature disabled, but only the front map lights come on now when the door is opened. Is the red/white dome above the 1st row and cargo area supposed to turn on too when the doors open? Could this enabled to do so?

I had my dark car feature disabled, but only the front map lights come on now when the door is opened. Is the red/white dome above the 1st row and cargo area supposed to turn on too when the doors open? Could this enabled to do so?

That particular light is controlled only by the switch on the light. Can't answer for the other row lights not coming on when the dark feature is disabled. If you don't get your answer by the next time a Utility comes into the shop, I'll have a look at it.

The "police" dome lights are only controlled by the side switch. Atleast your factory dome lights come on, I need to have my truck reprogrammed to disable the parking lights whenever the car doors are opened.

OMG... After reading this reply it all makes sense now. I was wondering what the heck were those two pieces taped together in my glove box when I had mine delivered.

I just ordered two of of these from my local ford dealer last night online for about $24/pair. Hopefully I can cancel it.

Also, if/when you pull the rear door panels off, grab a 7/8" drill bit and some speaker grill fabric. The rear door speakers are completely covered, but there is a "speaker grill pattern" of sorts embossed into the rear of the door panel. Drill those holes out, cover behind the panel with speaker mesh fabric, viola! Rear passengers can actually hear them now.

Also, if/when you pull the rear door panels off, grab a 7/8" drill bit and some speaker grill fabric. The rear door speakers are completely covered, but there is a "speaker grill pattern" of sorts embossed into the rear of the door panel. Drill those holes out, cover behind the panel with speaker mesh fabric, viola! Rear passengers can actually hear them now.

Does anyone know the part number for the civi version of those speaker cover panels. If I remember correctly... the civi version speaker cover panels has the holes in it already, plus also cup holders?

Does anyone know the part number for the civi version of those speaker cover panels. If I remember correctly... the civi version speaker cover panels has the holes in it already, plus also cup holders?

There isnt, it requires the entire panels to be replace. That "insert" is a permanent part of the panel and is "plastic welded" into place by the parts supplier. Ford doesnt even offer anything but the entire panel

Not to get off topic, but you shouldn't refer to anything police related as non-civilian. Only active duty military have lost their civilian status. And that is restored at discharge.

Not to get off topic, but you shouldn't refer to anything police related as non-civilian. Only active duty military have lost their civilian status. And that is restored at discharge.

Umm...

ci·vil·ian (səˈvilyən) noun a person not in the armed services or the police force.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

People use a word incorrectly long enough and the dictionary follows along.

Police still retain their civilian rights, so calling them non-civilian makes no sense.

Maybe there are two definitions one for Military and one for Law Enforcement

Police use Sworn Members/Civilian Members

Sorry for thread HiJack

Back