Help with a door ajar issue

B. Savage

Reaction score
City, State
OK 918
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xl 4wd
My wifes car is a 2005 explorer 4wd, 4.0 v6, I believe its an xl trim package
Recently, her dash has been telling her she has a door ajar, but all are shut properly. At first, it was just a warning light, but the courtesy lights always went off appropriately after she turned the ignition to off and closed the drivers door.
Last night she got home and got her things out of the car, and the car was telling her she had another door ajar, but this time the courtesy lamps would not turn off.
In an effort to fix it I did several things to try and firgure out where the problem is coming from

First thing i did was check all doors to ensure there was nothing shut in a jamb, including the rear hatch and glass, no issues there. Then I checked all the latches to make sure they were working properly, and as best I could tell they were
Next thing I did was check all the related fuses and they were all fine and working.
Then I decided to disconnect the battery, and see what happened when reattached it.
Magic, after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery the lights stayed off, and when I tested the door ajar issue with the keyless entry, it only honked once (in my experience it honks twice when there is a door open.
So I get into the car, put some things away (thinking I had magically fixed it) and shut the door, and lo and behold, it tells me there is a door ajar issue.
I redid this several times, in order to test this by opening every door after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, and no matter which door was opened after it was cleared, the lights stayed on and I got two honks after using the keyless entry.

so I turn the lights off by shutting the dimmer switch next to the headlight switch all the way off, and the door ajar issue goes away, completely. The car all te sudden thinks that sonce the lamps are off, the doors are all shut, so I was a little confused. It seems like the lamps would only stay on if the car thought the door was open, but it appears that there is a problem on te courtesy lights, but for some reason with the courtey lights trned on the car all the sudden thinks a door is ajar. Even if the car is closed up and locked with me inside I can turn the courtesy lights on and off, and with the lights on (without opening a door) it tells me there is a door ajar, as soon as I turn the lights off the code is cleared and it says all doors are closed (without me doing anything else besides turning the lights on and off)

so the immediate problem of her battery getting drained is resolved, but she has no interior lights when leaving work late at night, which is making her paranoid.

Is this a common problem on these vehicles? Any quick and easy fixes in anyones experiece?

Also, not sure if it is related, but her drivers door unlock button is no longer working, so that makes me think it may be a crimped wire in the loom beween the door and the body, but Ill check that after her work week is over.

Also, the passenger side rear door window quit working. Im hoping these may all be caused by the same issue, but I couldnt find one thing that would cause all of these problems simultaneously

Ive got some mechanical aptitude, but my tinker toy is a chevy wagon, and Im not to confident about me working on an OBD II car, so treat me like a noobix and let me have it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been several posts of this problem recently.You can do a search or just look back in the recent posts. For me the problem was fixed by spraying WD-40 into all the door latching mechanisms,including the lift gate.Others found a broken wire in the front door wire bundle.First check the posts.

This had been going on in my 03 XLT 4X4 for at least the last year...I just got used to it, albeit it was very frustrating, mainly because I have the keyless entry number pad on the drivers door....and with the "door ajar" it wouldnt allow me to lock/arm the truck (when pressing the 2 lower buttons)....and the dome lights would stay on for at least 5 minutes. And of course when you start it, they stay on for 15 seconds while you're driving, and when you leave for work and it's still dark outside in the morning...that gets pretty old!

Soo....this weekend I took some advice I read on here, and sprayed WD40 (with the little straw attached to the nozzle) inside the door latches of all of the doors (where the lock mechanism hitches up to the door striker...), and sprayed all inside of each door. This is where your door sensors are located, and they can get sticky or all together stuck, as was my case.

It INSTANTLY solved the issue...and it has not popped up at all this weekend that I have had a "door ajar" unless I actually did...

Go try it...report back

I've had all of the exact symptoms (minus the window inop) with my 02 XLT. Its getting pretty frustration. I'm really thinking of just trading it in?

I've had all of the exact symptoms (minus the window inop) with my 02 XLT. Its getting pretty frustration. I'm really thinking of just trading it in?

See the previous post. A can of WD-40 and 2-3 minutes is all it takes to fix - much cheaper than replacing your truck.

See my post above....as the member below you suggested.

Still have had no "door ajar" light come on since I did the spray.

My wifes has been doing this for a while but the wd-40 trick didnt work... I think the sensor is bad...

Not to hijack but what is the name of the sensor I need to buy??

THANKS

Jeremy

Back