Help with aftermarket auto headlights Nite Lite 545T | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with aftermarket auto headlights Nite Lite 545T

Royals1969

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
Please Help, I own a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT....
I purchased an aftermarket auto headlight kit called "Nite Lite 545T". The problem is the wire connection guide they supplied is not very clear.
I have my wiring diagrams for my Ford Explorer so i can find the location/color of the correct wires, but...
the harness for the nite lite 545T and their connection description is confusing. please help with these 4 connections

Orange:(-) ground when armed input, connect to the ground when armed output of the security system.
Blue/White: (-) auxiliary RF channel input, connect this wire to an auxiliary channel output of the security system.
Blue(30): parking light relay output, connect this wire to the vehicles parking light wire.
Green(30): headlight relay output, connect this wire to the vehicles headlight wire.

Thank-You
Royals

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

orange and blue/white dont need.

blue exactly what it says and same with green. to the corresponding wires in the vehicle. more than likely at the headlight switch or sjb (smart junction box).

be sure to figure out what the polarity of the headlights and parking lights are. your violet and brown will both determine the output on the blue and green.

wires

orange and blue/white dont need.

blue exactly what it says and same with green. to the corresponding wires in the vehicle. more than likely at the headlight switch or sjb (smart junction box).

be sure to figure out what the polarity of the headlights and parking lights are. your violet and brown will both determine the output on the blue and green.

Well thank-you for the response...i have been patiently waiting...I did assume the wires at the headlight switch we the wires to use, but when i saw the size of the headlight and parking light wires in this 545t system, i questioned why these wires are so huge, because the wires in the light switch are a 22 gauge.

according to my notes both the headlights (low-beam) and the parking lights should be a neg. trigger. which means you will ground the brown and violet.

Reason they are so big is they are the inputs and outputs of the relays

according to my notes both the headlights (low-beam) and the parking lights should be a neg. trigger. which means you will ground the brown and violet.

Thank-you, I'll do a test hook-up today and see how it goes, if all goes well with the test I'll install them this weekend. Royals

wiring

I must have something wired wrong: When i wired the system as described above, the parking lights behaved correctly, but the headlights were constant on when ignition is on. The manual says this is because of daytime running light new feature. (my explorer has DRL's already). So the 545T manual says to cut the red loop wire to disable the 545T DRL feature. When I cut the red loop wire, and it had no impact and headlights were still constant on...Any ideas?
Thanks Royals

You have daytime running lights on your ex before you put the module in?

If so the only way to turn them off is to go to the dealer and they can program the SJB and turn them off (if the dealer knows how to, some do some dont).

If your in canada your sol. its the law to have them there.

You have daytime running lights on your ex before you put the module in?

If so the only way to turn them off is to go to the dealer and they can program the SJB and turn them off (if the dealer knows how to, some do some dont).

If your in canada your sol. its the law to have them there.

Yes i have daytime running lights on my 07 Explorer XLT, and I will keep them, i don't wish to turn off the DRL's...Only wanted to add auto headlight feature for night time...the DRL's only kick in/turn on when i put the truck in gear, not while SUV is in park. Besides they not full power, I believe DRL's are like 75% power.
This 545T is turning the lights on full power in park all the time, only the parking lights behave correctly with the photo cell, is it possible that my headlight switch is not a "neg. trigger" as you suggested above, and have the polarity incorrect and thus wired wrong? Thanks Royals

I tried doing something similar with my remote starter install. That wire at the headlight switch will not work. You have to use the direct wire at the SJB. Im thinking the wire at the switch must be some kind of variable or polarity changing wire that goes to the SJB, because although it shows negative with the headlights on, it caused multiple problems when connected to my remote starter including headlights on all the time and not working when manually switched on.

I tried doing something similar with my remote starter install. That wire at the headlight switch will not work. You have to use the direct wire at the SJB. Im thinking the wire at the switch must be some kind of variable or polarity changing wire that goes to the SJB, because although it shows negative with the headlights on, it caused multiple problems when connected to my remote starter including headlights on all the time and not working when manually switched on.

Thank-You for the reply, i'll try finding the headlight and parking light wires coming from the sbj and see if it makes a difference.
Curious but dont the wires coming from the sbj go to the headlight switch?

To clarify, you can connect the parking lights at the switch, just not the headlights. Yes the wires go to the SJB. you need to make the connection on the other (high current) side of the SJB probably, but even then it may cause problems. Ever since cars started using computer controlled lights, there have been problems when hooking up aftermarket controllers. I've done installs on emergency equipment and just like in the case of crown Victoria police cars, the headlights had to be isolated with 1 way diodes when using wig wag flashers in order to work with the SJB.

Yes i have daytime running lights on my 07 Explorer XLT, and I will keep them, i don't wish to turn off the DRL's...Only wanted to add auto headlight feature for night time...the DRL's only kick in/turn on when i put the truck in gear, not while SUV is in park. Besides they not full power, I believe DRL's are like 75% power.
This 545T is turning the lights on full power in park all the time, only the parking lights behave correctly with the photo cell, is it possible that my headlight switch is not a "neg. trigger" as you suggested above, and have the polarity incorrect and thus wired wrong? Thanks Royals

The 545 doesnt have the ability to control the amount of "juice" it gives to the lights its an on or off thing not like the factory were its not full power. Because its not associated with any of the gear selecting its bassed off of the ignition being on or off that is why its happeneing as soon as you turn the vehicle on. you cant compare this to being exactly like the factory. the factory has the ability to tap into the computer and use different sensors in the truck to control it.

This module if hooked up correctly (i have done many of them in my professional installer days) will turn on the lights when it gets dark. or you can have it do drl's. me personally i would usually just do lights since most cars have drl's now days. Here is a question are you testing in your garage? if so do it in an open parking lot and you can cover the sensor.

The 545 doesnt have the ability to control the amount of "juice" it gives to the lights its an on or off thing not like the factory were its not full power. Because its not associated with any of the gear selecting its bassed off of the ignition being on or off that is why its happeneing as soon as you turn the vehicle on. you cant compare this to being exactly like the factory. the factory has the ability to tap into the computer and use different sensors in the truck to control it.

This module if hooked up correctly (i have done many of them in my professional installer days) will turn on the lights when it gets dark. or you can have it do drl's. me personally i would usually just do lights since most cars have drl's now days. Here is a question are you testing in your garage? if so do it in an open parking lot and you can cover the sensor.

a.) I've been testing in my driveway in full sunlight.
b.) The module i assume is not hooked up correctly because it does NOT function correctly.
c.) I only want the 545T for the auto headlight feature only, not its ability to be DRL's which in reality is just headlights on all the time the ignition is on. I cut the red wire loop on the module as per install instructions.
d.) The parking lights do function correctly with the photocell.
e.) the headlights are 'constant on' even though I cut the red wire loop. So i assume not wired correctly, perhaps parking lights are negative trigger and headlight are positive trigger, gotta check the polarity at the switch ..hmmm

What happens if you disconnect your headlight wire? is it throwing you off because you have the drl's? To me thats what it sounds like.

Like you said your truck has the drl's from the factory if you dont want these on you will need to get it programmed at the dealer.

Back