Help with Amp Install (With Pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Amp Install (With Pictures)

Glowin97x

Reaction score
City, State
LA / San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
Hey guys can anyone help with this? Im trying to re install a sub into my new car. I had a shop put it in the Explorer and now i want it in the mustang but the shop wants $95. I kept all the wires so its just a matter of connecting the right wire to the right spot. Ive never done an amp before and dont feel like burning down the car. Lemme know if this looks right. I know the sub and amp match and all because it was the same setup from the explorer. THANKS

P1010626.jpg

Red = Power wire to Batt w/ fuse w/in 12" from batt
Orange = Remote turn on to back of HU
Brown = Ground to frame

P1010627.jpg

This is a 4 channel Amp
- from channel 4 and + from channel 3 to Sub to bridge 3Ch&4Ch 4

Ch2 & Ch 1 are seperate to amp the speakers

here is where I get a little confused the shop that put it in wired it like this

P1010630.jpg

The other end of the bundle of wires coming from the leads on ch2 & ch1 = 8 seperate wires (a pos and neg to each speaker)
P1010632.jpg

the way it worked was i could only control the fad between the sub and speakers but not individually the fronts and rears

P1010628.jpg

RCA Inputs Ch3 & 4 are Sub preouts from the HU?
and CH 1 & 2 the speaker pre outs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahahahahahaha Oh man I am laughing because we have no idea where the wires are going.

i thought that the descriptions under the pictures were enough? maybe not

the wires from channel 3 & 4 are going to the pos & neg on the RF punch 12" sub. The wires from channels 1 & 2 are going to the four speakers
the red power wire is going to the batt
the brown wire is going to the chasis
the orange wire is going to the remote turn on to the amp
the RCAs for channels 3 & 4 are going to the Sub Out on the back of the HU
the RCAs for channels 1 & 2 are going to the pre-amp out puts for the speakers on the back of the HU

Hold on I am searching online for amp install instructions/diagrams that will help you, but first we need to know:

What head unit are you using?
Your Explorer likely has a factory amp for the door speakers and possibly one for a sub, so its not always real simple to add an amp and sub to this sytem, it can of course be done and is convered in detail on this forum.

Your best bet is to locate and download the owners manuals for your audio equipment, then figure out how to wire it into your truck.
It is both basic and can get real tricky at the same time.

If channel 1 and 2 are running four speakers that means that they wired 2 speakers per channel in series.

I am guessing that the shop wired the right front and right rear to one channel, and the left front and left rear to the other channel. You will not be able to fade from front to back. Only from side to side.

If channel 1 and 2 are running four speakers that means that they wired 2 speakers per channel in series.

bp1506 is correct on the series wiring. The pic with the crimp connector in it shows the negative of one speaker going to the positive of the other.

the HU is a Kenwood 50w x4 MP3 unit thats maybe 3 years old. Its connected to Pioneer 150w speakers. I installed the HU and the speakers myself in the mustang

toypaseo that sounds like what they must have done because i could not fade between front and back only L & R. I could fade between all teh speakers and the sub however, with the front and rear fade on the kenwood HU

What amp are we looking at?

I have a similar setup in my Paseo. I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 60 powering a set of 4" Infinity Kappa components and a pair of 6½ Infinity Kappa coaxials. Right side is wired to one channel, the left side to the other. I am running them in parallel though, to get 280 watts total from the amp.

It might be possible to wire yours in parallel, if the amp can handle the lower ohm load.

How many preouts does the kenwood have?

Kenwood MP3 unit should have 3 sets, front, rear and sub

So if you used that amp to run the 4 speakers and another amp for the subs you would be able to fade from front to rear as long as you had the two sets of rca cables going to your 4 channel amp and 1 set for the other amp. I dont know if you want to add another amp but you could do it that way.

Or you can wire the speakers in parallel giving you more power. The same could be done to the subs if you needed more power for those too. But you have to check your amp and speaker specs to make sure the amp can handle it. It could over heat if the amp cant handle the load, like what kept happening to me on my old kenwood amp.

Let me suggest that you use channels 1 and 2 for the front speakers, and use channels 3 and 4 bridged for the sub (if your amp will allow this, it does look like it from your pics). Just power the rear speakers off your head unit.

This is both simple yet powerful, and easy to wire up. You'll also keep the ability to fade front/back.

Jason

yeah, not worth deciphering that junk

let's start over

what all are you running?

Its a Kenwood Hu 50w x4 HU with 3 pre outs two for speakers 1 for sub. The front speakers are Pioneer 100w coaxles and the rear are stock mustang speakers. I have a rockford punch 12" sub and a Boss 300w x4 bridgeable amp. Thanks for the help.

I believe what the shop did was wire the front and rear speakers in parallel from channels 1 & 2 and then wire the sub to the bridged channel 3 & 4. I think. I dont know if this is the best way. The fade is not that important to me especially since the mustang is much smaller than the explorer was.

They wired the speakers in series according to the pic above.

JasonF has a good idea on how to hook it up.

What is the amp model number?

1. that amp is junk.
2. JasonF had the best idea.

Let me suggest that you use channels 1 and 2 for the front speakers, and use channels 3 and 4 bridged for the sub (if your amp will allow this, it does look like it from your pics). Just power the rear speakers off your head unit.

This is both simple yet powerful, and easy to wire up. You'll also keep the ability to fade front/back.

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back