• Register Today It's free!

Help with auto headlamps

jreask

Reaction score
City, State
st. louis Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT Explorer
Our XLT has auto headlamps that come on when the dial is rotated to the auto position. There is a setting on the left hand display to set the off delay to ten, twenty or thirty seconds after the vehicle is turned off. This feature doesn't seem to work for us. After the vehicle is turned off, the parking lamps will stay on, but not the headlights. The owner's manual says to rotate the dial to off and then turn the dial to auto to set the delay. This is very confusing. I am thinking setting the display setting to set the delay at thirty seconds is all we should have to do? Anyone have any input on this? TIA

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our XLT has auto headlamps that come on when the dial is rotated to the auto position. There is a setting on the left hand display to set the off delay to ten, twenty or thirty seconds after the vehicle is turned off. This feature doesn't seem to work for us. After the vehicle is turned off, the parking lamps will stay on, but not the headlights. The owner's manual says to rotate the dial to off and then turn the dial to auto to set the delay. This is very confusing. I am thinking setting the display setting to set the delay at thirty seconds is all we should have to do? Anyone have any input on this? TIA

Joe

I was just going to post about this as well. My headlights do stay on but only for 10 seconds. I want to set the delay to 30 seconds.

I tried to follow the instructions in the manual but it's very confusing as well. Anyone have any luck?

Yes it's crazy. Next time you take it in to the dealer have them do it. Should be funny

Joe
From my understanding after reading this procedure, the setting of the delay for the headlamps has nothing to do with the left hand display settings.

To adjust the delay for the headlamps;
1. Turn vehicle off
2. Rotate control knob to Autolamp setting
3. Rotate the control knob to OFF
4. Turn vehicle ON
5. Turn vehicle OFF
6. Rotate control knob to the Autolamp position (headlights should come on)
7. Rotate the control knob to the OFF position when the desired delay time has been reached (up to 3 minutes)

Steps 1 - 6 must be done within 10 seconds.

In step 7 it looks like you just time it yourself and then set control to OFF to put that delay time into memory.

I believe the left hand disply settings are just for the interior lights and amber lights.

Try that Joe and report please. FYI I haven't adjusted any of my settings

Peter

From my understanding after reading this procedure, the setting of the delay for the headlamps has nothing to do with the left hand display settings.

To adjust the delay for the headlamps;
1. Turn vehicle off
2. Rotate control knob to Autolamp setting
3. Rotate the control knob to OFF
4. Turn vehicle ON
5. Turn vehicle OFF
6. Rotate control knob to the Autolamp position (headlights should come on)
7. Rotate the control knob to the OFF position when the desired delay time has been reached (up to 3 minutes)

In step 7 it looks like you just time it yourself and then set control to OFF to put that delay time into memory.

I believe the left hand disply settings are just for the interior lights and amber lights.

Try that Joe and report please. FYI I haven't adjusted any of my settings

Peter

I've tried this... the problem I have is between step 5 and 6.

It says to turn the vehicle off...then switch the lights into the autolamp position. The problem is my headlights do not turn on. I'm doing this at night btw.

I'll try it again tonight.

-Eric

I've tried this... the problem I have is between step 5 and 6.

It says to turn the vehicle off...then switch the lights into the autolamp position. The problem is my headlights do not turn on. I'm doing this at night btw.

I'll try it again tonight.

-Eric
Hi Eric. I just tried it and successfully set the delay to 30 seconds. It took a few of tries to get it right.
I got in and waited for all the interior lights to go off. The switch was already in the Autolamp mode. I turned it to the OFF position, started the Ex, turned it off almost immediately and turned the control back to Auto. The headlamps came on. I waited 30 seconds and then turned the control to OFF.
After the interior lights went off, I started the Ex again, let it run a few seconds and turned it off. I got out and the headlamps went off about 30 seconds later.
I had a couple of incidents where the lights didn't come on when they were supposed to. Perhaps I let it run too long before turning it off. (steps 4 & 5)
BTW, I added the 10 second time limit to my original post. Good luck.

Peter

Hi Eric. I just tried it and successfully set the delay to 30 seconds. It took a few of tries to get it right.
I got in and waited for all the interior lights to go off. The switch was already in the Autolamp mode. I turned it to the OFF position, started the Ex, turned it off almost immediately and turned the control back to Auto. The headlamps came on. I waited 30 seconds and then turned the control to OFF.
After the interior lights went off, I started the Ex again, let it run a few seconds and turned it off. I got out and the headlamps went off about 30 seconds later.
I had a couple of incidents where the lights didn't come on when they were supposed to. Perhaps I let it run too long before turning it off. (steps 4 & 5)
BTW, I added the 10 second time limit to my original post. Good luck.

Peter

Hi Peter.. Thanks for the tips.

I tried it again..and although I managed to extend the time the lights stay on after turning the vehicle off.

I think the trick is to do it quickly in succession. I probably waited too long between steps when I first tried it. Thanks again.

-Eric

Back