• Register Today It's free!

Help with brakes

atlgadawg

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
The info on here is great and I have just finished replacing my wheel bearings and hubs. Now I am having trouble assembling my emergency brakes.
I have searched extensively here and an only find threads showing the older style e brakes.
Does anyone have pictures or diagrams on how to put the e brakes back on a 2002 or newer explorer?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

s4nusenfilea0084245gifg.gif
[/URL]

Emergency brake installation tip for the spring is here.

When the rears were apart you should assemble the parking brake on the bench. A lot easier to hold the pins while working to clip the spring on. Then when installing the lever arms (item 23 in diagram), lube them a little so they go thru the rubber grommet (item 24), then spread the assembled brake shoes at the top so the arm can go in thru the backing plate and be positioned. Some people suggest readjusting the parking brake before disassembly, but I see no reason for it as when removing the lever if you spread the shoes at the top they come right out together.

Thank you very much for all the help. Here s what I found that worked best for me..

After hubs and bearings are pressed in reassemble the parking brakes on the bench. I layed the wheel flat, put the right hand shoe in place and put the spring/clip in place. Next I hooked the top spring to the right shoe. Take the left shoe in your hand, hook the other end of the top spring to it, place the top tab of that shoe in it's slot and pry/push it down in place. Don't let go of it or it will fly up toward the spring. Use needle nose pliers to hook the bottom spring to both shoes to hold it in place. Then you have both hands free to put the pin/clip on the left shoe. The shoes were sitting a little high (didn't look centered around the hub) but they easily were pushed down in place.
When I mounted the hubs on the car push both cable levers in the slot together. Use a large screwdriver to push one of the shoes to the side, stretching the top spring and the levers will slide through.
I could not get the pins and clips through the holes with them mounted on the car. This way seems easier to me.

Great site. Thanks for the diagram and help.

To assemble on the truck you need to have someone hold the pin & it's tough. Glad it worked out. Hope you applied anti-seize when assembling the hub bearing as you will probably be back in there again someday.

Back