help with broken seat

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
its a little difficult to explain, but here goes, my seat lever does allow the seat to fold all the way forward, while pushing it back, it will lock into the first position placing the seat in the straight position. however, it then slides through all the levels of recline, it no longer locks at all. i am driving laying down.

how can i fix this?

here is a movie clip of the problem

http://www.explorerforum.com/files/4019/Mov02004.mpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we have always been informed of other recalls and always taken them in for repair. we currently need to take in our 98 ranger for the crusie control to have a fuse pack put in because it can catch fire

EDIT: just got off the phone with a local dealership, they said the recall for the recliner bolt does not apply to my vehicle :(

Jimbo, mine does that too!! I took out my seat out, and took it apart. The recline mechanisim was wierd. There was a cable that ran from the handle to two things on either side of the seat. Everything was sealed, so I was unable to see what was broken. I did spray some oil in the cable, and I moved the cable around, I managed to get some tension on the recline handle again, the seat works fine now. It works but sometime when you lean back hard, it slips. And if I play with the handle it is ok again.

mine is definately something broken, it feels notchy, like a stripped gear tooth or something like that, makes a noise like that too

help me! my seat is being held in place by a suitcase i wedged between the rear seatback and my chairback on the seat!!!!

I think you might have to just take it to a repair shop. Unless you want to take apart sealed parts and see what's wrong with them. Even if some one has a fix you're probably goign to have to take the Sealed parts apart. That or just take it to a shop and have them fix it. That's about it. My seat bolt broke on me about a month ago and I had to do the same thing (suitcase wedged) except mine was my tool box. I finally took it apart (two days ago) and replaced the bolt with one I had lying around. Lucky I guess. You're probably goign to have to bite the bullet and take it in. My 2 Cents. Good luck either way.

dont have the $ to take it in and its my daily driver..... hopefully it is a bolt, my mom just had surgery and is pretty much homebound for awhile so i may just steal her car and work on mine.

found it, not a bolt, its the whole seat assembly..... well a whole reclining assembly, there als ois no cable that studd469 had.....

there are numbers on it, so i will look up parts reference now... i believe the part is f37s 7862649 ab there is also another number on it d2215 but not sure what that is

also removed the seat belt latch that barely latches anymore, it says regency 364054b and then has a 2 inside of a circle

within this assembly, there is a geared wheel, this wheel has visible teeth missing/ground off

f37s 7862649 ab
the 8 may also be a 3

there is a sticker on the assembly that once had a ford emblem on it, but its pretty undestinguishable now, and is just a blurry black oval

seatbelt1.jpg

recliner1.jpg

go to junk yard and buy the whole seat, or just that part I think there only 10 mm bolts holding it on

ped5stng says he has them, depending on what he wnats for them i may jsut get them from him... but i am probably going to go junkyard hopping later today or tuesday

Do you happen to have the photo from the other side of the lever, if so, would really like to see it. I have the same problem but passenger side. I think I simple weld should do it. I might have to replace the spring with a new one or something close though.

Back