• Register Today It's free!

help with clicking/ticking noise.

fordby4

Reaction score
City, State
Santa FE New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
When I am accelerating with the gas pedal depressed there is a clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine compartment. It only does this under load and will not do it while idling. It also occurs when going up hill on the highway. I thought it was an exhaust leak but that wasnt the case as I took it to an exhaust shop. I can tfigure it out and I tried searching to no conclusion. Any help will be appreciated. Also is it normal when the motor is shut off for the sound of air coming out like relieving some air out of a tire? It sounds like it is losing air pressure but I cant tell from where. Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did they check the manfold gaskets?

could it be detonation?

I assume this is a 4.0 ohv motor?

as far as I know they checked everything that had to do with the exhaust. Yes its the 4.0 ohv. But the weird thing is that it wont make that noise while reving it in neutral.

check the following
1) Carbon buildup (see attached TSB below)
2) motor mounts
3) Universal joints

If it doesn't do it at idle it's not an manifold gasket problem.

Oh and the sound of sucking air could be coming from your brake booster, check for vacuum leaks where it connects.

Here is the Ford TSB for Engine Knock under acceleration
Engine - Carbon Knock On Acceleration

Article No:
01-19-7

10/01/01

^ ENGINE - 4.0L OHV - CARBON KNOCK ON ACCELERATION

^ NOISE - CARBON KNOCK ON ACCELERATION - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L OHV ENGINE ONLY

FORD:
1990-1997 AEROSTAR
1990-2000 EXPLORER, RANGER

ISSUE
Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0L OHV engine may exhibit an engine noise which may be perceived by the customer as a piston/connecting rod bearing knock. This carbon knock is heard only under load during the drive cycle. Carbon knock is a customer drive duty-cycle phenomenon that cannot be repaired with an engine exchange. This may be caused by carbon build-up within the combustion chamber.

ACTION
Verify condition. If normal diagnostics fail to correct the condition, de-carbon the combustion chamber to help quiet the carbon knock noise. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Use Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner PM-3.

2. Carbon removal:
a. Disconnect canister purge line from throttle body.
b. Attach a vacuum line to the canister purge port.
c. At hot engine idle, allow the engine to ingest 1/2 to 2/3 of a can of Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Cleaner. Use caution not to ingest too quickly due to potential hydro-lock issues.
d Shut engine off and allow it to soak for one hour.
e. Start engine, allow engine to ingest the remainder of the Motorcraft Carburetor Tune-up Gleaner.
f. Remove vacuum line and re-install canister purge line.
g. Road test vehicle at 3500 RPM for 2-3 miles.
h. Repeat above procedure two times for a total of three times.
i. Change oil and filter.

3. Review the customers' driving habits. The recommended drive cycle should include daily periods of engine operation above 3,000 RPM, such as a brisk acceleration from a stop position. This will break/burn the carbon off the piston head.

4. Use regular unleaded fuel, 87 Octane. Mid-grade and Premium fuels may increase the probability of carbon buildup, leading to a knock noise.

PARTS BLOCK

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

011907A Remove Carbon From 1.6 Hrs.
Combustion Chamber
(Includes Time To Perform
Procedure A Total Of
Three Times)

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
6108 42

OASIS CODES: 497000, 615000, 702000, 702100

Oh and Seafoam works as a replacement for the ford carb cleaner stuff. There are many write ups on this site about how to use it properly to clean your engine.

That TSB should be stickied!
That's the correct procedure for sea foaming as well, & even has the correct vacuum port to use so it hits all cylinders.

Not a bad Idea... ^^^

I know I had to really maintain my OHV motor in my ranger to clean out carbon. The OHV motor is a great motor, but if not properly run it will buildup carbon quickly.

This is actually a great idea to use on all motors. especially if you run short trips frequently which doesn't allow the engine to heat up and clean out properly. Although with the SOHC the procedure is a little trickier since there is no 1 vacuum line that feeds both sides of the engine. So I improvised and created one

anyway this is off topic sort of... :scratch:

Back