• Register Today It's free!

help with codes please

dean1997sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport OHV
Ok my idle was rough and now I have it to a point where its alot better but I am still getting 2 codes P0171 & P0174 I have done the following:

Checked for vacuum leaks (visual) have not tried carb cleaner method yet
Cleaned MAF
IAC-new
DPFE & vacuum lines-new
PVC & hose- new
Fuel filter-new
Oil & filter-mobil1, motorcraft -new
Air filter-new ,napa gold
Plugs -motorcraft plat
Wires- napa gold
EVAC control solenoid-new

Idle sounds good doesnt sound lopey (is that a word?) or like it wants to die out, pretty smooth compared to what it was.

I bought a cheap scanner and here are the results which I cant figure out:

2 codes
P0171
P0174
MIL ON
MONITORS
1 INC
EVAP
7 READY
MISFIRE
FUEL
COMP
CATLYST
O2 SENSOR
O2 HEATER
EGR

Ok can some one tell me what this means?
and why am I getting these codes?
help!:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after doing a quick search and crossing out what you have replaced already, check the 02 sensors and the intake manifold gaskets..

did you get the tsb (#00M12) extended warranty from ford?

also check/search "oom12 kit" on the forum..

try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 1/5 hour and see if the codes go back..

...Instead of starting a bunch of new threads for the same issue, keep all the info in one...People that are helping you will not see the new threads and others that see the new threads, will not know the history of what you have done to fix your problem...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2172761#post2172761

...This also applies to your threads on "IAC" and MAF".....;)

...As for your codes:

1) Probably Vacuum leak
2) Clean the MAF
3) EGR tube leak
4) Plugs and wires

OR 5) Intake manifold gaskets..

Ok I will look into that.
I cleared the codes's ( disconnected the battery for an hour)) after all the work was completed and they came back after 2 starts. How do you check the O2's?

Maf might need to be replaced, cleaning doesnt always take care of it, but probably an intake gasket leak.

is there any way to test the MAF?

I dont think so. I put a new one in four years ago, and just put one in a month ago, at the same time replacing the upper manifold gasket and iac. I've had the same codes and eventually replaced everything on your list and now is good. I didn't clean the maf at all in the 4 years i had it so it may have just been time to replace. Depending on your engine, the gasket change is easy and cheap if you can do it yourself. Gaskets were about $9.

after doing a quick search and crossing out what you have replaced already, check the 02 sensors and the intake manifold gaskets..

did you get the tsb (#00M12) extended warranty from ford?

also check/search "oom12 kit" on the forum..

Is that ooom12 kit specific for a SOHC? I have a OHV

the 000m12 is for a sohc, i replaced the upper manifold gaskets on my ohv. when you take it apart they are usually dry and cracked. I tried spraying carb cleaner and nothing happened and changed them and it helped.

I am thinking I should do both upper and lower at the same time I have read alot of posts where some folks change the uppers and have to go back in and change the lower, is that a good idea? I figure since I am gonna be in there anyway might as well. How much more work is involved to change the lowers and will I need valve cover gaskets as well?

i think you should replace whatever you can replace when you get the chance to do so..

i replace my pcv when i installed a phenolic spacer since it's so far in the back.. saves the headache of redoing something when i can be done in one shot..

hope the gaskets solve your problems :thumbsup:

Felpro gaskets

I am looking on rockauto and they have a complete intake gasket set

FEL-PRO Part # MS98005T
OHV engine; Valve cover gskts. & Upper set incl.; PermaDryPlus® int. manifold gskts

Is the Permadryplus better than the old style felpro gaskets?

It looks like the permadry are 2 piece and the older style is one piece.

Is there any benifit in the newer design?

I did a search on it and found this:

"Our new PermaDryPlus gasket is absolutely the best answer for millions of engines exhibiting sealing problems induced by aggressive coolant chemistries and engine-specific dynamic issues."

The new Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus gasket features a high-strength aluminized steel carrier that is edge molded and encapsulated with a proprietary fluoroelastomer (FKM) material. In addition, the new gasket features three separate sealing beads around coolant ports to ensure a long-lasting seal under any situation.

Has anyone used the new 2 piece design?

Back