help with correct type of radiator for 1995 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with correct type of radiator for 1995 OHV

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
I'm ignorant for sure. 2 core ? three core ? what do I have as the OEM ? Dont want to pay someone to do it. Not sure how much it would cost anyways....

Well now it looks like I need to replace my radiator- there is a leak of some sort on the lower driver side above the lower radiator hose. It leaks when running but no drips have happened since I turned it off.

Went away for the weekend and the whole state was very cold. I replaced my thermostat last week and there was no leak when I left. Started it up yesterday and bam. Green driveway.

Any advice on a replacement, source, brand... anything ?

Thanks

If the tank doesn't show distress (cracks) try swapping the hose clamp to a worm-clamp, instead of the OEM one.

This sounds silly and normally I like the spring-style clamps but I had my lower radiator hose and 3 of my heater hoses leak at the connections with the factory clamps, all of them are leak-free with worm-drive clamps. I am not sure if the factory clamps have weakened with age or what and I've never had this problem before, but it's worth trying if the radiator appears to be OK otherwise.

I've used Advance Auto's house radiator brand a few times, after six years the one in my 98 showed a couple hairline cracks but they replaced it under warranty for free (they said the cracks were just "cosmetic", which is BS, but replaced it anyway). Their house brand is probably Spectra Premium CU1728 ($102.79 on RockAuto). I think stock automatic radiators were 2-row, manual transmission radiators were single row.

PLENTY of these on Ebay - IMO go with the all-Aluminum replacement vice the slightly cheaper Plastic Ended Stock type Rad - 2 Row shd be fine.

Well now it looks like I need to replace my radiator.
Any advice on a replacement, source, brand... anything ?
Thanks

Rock Auto
$83 - $112 plus Shipping (Depending on if you have a Manual Transmission VS Auto Transmission)

LINK: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1995,explorer,4.0l+v6,1119642,cooling+system,radiator,2172

5% Off your Purchase Discount Code
73619FD04379D0 Expires: January 23, 2019
Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount.

Back