Help with engine cutting out while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with engine cutting out while driving

WillyKonick

Reaction score
City, State
George, Western Cape
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998XLT
Hi all- this is the closest place I can find to seek advice for a problem. Please let me know if there is a better place to post - thanks. I have a 1998 XLT which has the following problem: while driving, the engine light starts flickering on, then the engine starts losing power until it cuts out all together. This is obviously very dangerous as you lose power steering! It seems to get worse when the weather gets hotter and also happens more often when turning left! (Right-hand drive vehicle here in South Africa). I found an owner of a similar model here locally who also had a similar problem and he advised us to clean the crank angle sensor which we did. It got the vehicle starting again, but after a couple of days the problem returned. If you let the vehicle stand for a couple of minutes, it starts up again, goes for a few kms and then repeats the process. The local dealer is not really interested in helping me as the "vehicle is too old!" and we would need to carry the diagnostics computer around with us in the car to wait for when the problem might occur again. Please if someone could help to diagnose the problem I would much appreciate it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My car is doing the exact same thing execpt it wont crank at all now plz plz plz someone help him. and me of coarse

bumpo for this man

Get the codes read, and report back

Thanks - we'll do so and report back

DTCs?

. . . while driving, the engine light starts flickering on, then the engine starts losing power until it cuts out all together. . .
If you let the vehicle stand for a couple of minutes, it starts up again, goes for a few kms and then repeats the process. . .

If the CEL illuminated you should have diagnostic trouble codes set. Do you know what they are?

It could be a crankshaft position (CKP) sensor since the CEL illuminates. It could also be a fuel pressure problem. If its been more than 30,000 miles since you changed your fuel filter I suggest that you replace it. Why change fuel filter?
Then I suggest that you perform the Fuel pressure test procedure

as suggested, try changing the fuel filter. Odds are the "check engine" light coming on is more of a sign that the engine died than a failure (just like turning your key to "on" and leaving it there).

Thanks

Thank-you all for your advice. We will try these procedures and report back on outcome. Kind regards!

my 2002 4.0 stalls while driving. were you able to fix your stalling problem?

I think I found my issue. The connector to my inertia switch is melted. I checked it before, but never pulled out the connector. No idea why it would have melted.

So until I get a new plug and inertia switch, I just shorted the connection with a wire. Hopefully I won't roll it over or get into an accident in the meantime.

So a 50cent part has cost about $700. I've taken it to ford dealer twice, midas once, replaced the fuel pump and a ton of sensors, etc... Some stuff needed to be replaced anyways, but I spent about $300 at ford and midas having them trying to diagnose the problem.

Before I had just pulled the cover off and checked the connection, but never removed it ... stupid me ...

inertia.jpg

Back