Help with Exhaust pipe and muffler replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Exhaust pipe and muffler replacement

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
'99 Mounty, 5.0 - I cut the old muffler and exhaust pipe out. I can't figure out how to get the new tailpipe in. It hits the shock absorber on the passenger side and won't go any further in. I thought maybe letting the spare tire down might help with some wiggle room, but I can't seem to get that down either.

Gonna have to drive it with no exhaust after the cats until I can figure it out.

Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I did my 98 Explorer over the summer. I backed it up on ramps, unbolted the lateral stabilizer (5th) shock and the stabilizer link. It was kind of a pain to do on the ground, but it worked out. When I did it the first time, several years ago, I had access to a lift. I was able to maneuver it in without taking anything else loose, because I had more room to tilt the tailpipe

I attempted to unbolt the shock absorber bit it was VERY difficult, so I didn't force it. I didn't know if the stabilizer link was sprung So I didn't take the chance. I will try that tonight.

Sure wish I had access to a lift.

Ok, so I put the rear back up on ramps, I jacked the passenger side front up and I unbolted the rear stabilizer link from the frame on the passenger side. I did not have to unbolt either shock absorber. The exhaust pipe slid right in. The muffler and tailpipe sections slipped together and everything bolted up simply and smoothly.

Thanks again, Namskteen!

Good to hear. I have a 97 Mountaineer that needs an exhaust once the weather gets warm. It also needs all 5 shocks, the stabilizer shock is rotted away. So I'll do them all together

Back