HELP with factory nav, no Audiophile! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP with factory nav, no Audiophile!

chase71320

Reaction score
City, State
Daphne, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm new to the forums, and new to my 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer. I want to remove the factory head-unit and install the factory navigation (and possibly Sync or some sort of Bluetooth hardware), but I don't have the Audiophile system. I know this because the back of the factory radio doesn't have the three plugs. My question is, is it possible to install the factory navigation in an Explorer without the premium sound system? If so, what modifications are needed? If not, what are some suggestions for good after-market navi/Bluetooth units? I prefer to retain the OEM-look of my dash, which is why I'd prefer the factory unit. Please pardon me if this question is redundant...my cursory search of the forum did not render a satisfactory solution. Any help or insight (other than a "no, it's not possible") will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be able to hook up the OEM NAV unit without problems. These radios need to be programmed to match the vehicle and it options, so be sure to denote the specifics (no subwoofer, steering wheel controls, etc.) when you get that done.

=Vic=

I was able to hook up a factory nav unit to my explorer, it did not have audiophile sound. But the nav unit was programmed for that, so I was able to hook up an aftermarket sub and amp to the nav unit. works great

IMO you will get much better sound, funtionality, reliability, expandability with an aftermarket uint. and usually cheaper. there is another member on here that "littered" the forum about converting to a nav, sync. im sure he will say its easy to do, but for the amount of parts you need its easier to purchase a bluetooth aftermarket unit with nav for starting about 500.

I was able to hook up a factory nav unit to my explorer, it did not have audiophile sound. But the nav unit was programmed for that, so I was able to hook up an aftermarket sub and amp to the nav unit. works great

That's great to hear! But, how did you connect the factory nav head-unit (with the three connection slots in the back) when your factory non-nav only had the two connection slots? I understand that it'd need to be programmed, but I don't want to buy one that won't connect properly.

The third connection your connection your taking about is if your vehicle came with your subwoofer. Your navigation system will still work without that plug.

The re-programming for the navigation system they are talking for about is for this specific navigation, I believe as well you do neet to get it re-program for car if you get radio out from an explorer:

10mrkv6.jpg

If you purchase this nav, and happens to come out from a ford explorer then you do not need to get it re-programmed, but if it came out from another ford vehicle then you would have to. I know this for sure as I installed one my vehicle which does not have a sub.

b4ch7k.jpg

Thanks, rusty813. Another question: how much (generally) does it cost to have the radio reprogrammed? Is it something I could do myself?

It cost $75, I heard from others on here, If you are are looking to get the nav2 program which is the colored screen pic so do you not have to use the amp...that is not possible, as that radio requires a factory in order for it to work, but other programming is possible as to specific vehicle.

I just bought a 06 Mountaineer with the Audiophile sound (with sub). If I replaced it with the nav unit from another 06 mountaineer, would there be anything else that I need, like a GPS antenna?

Back