• Register Today It's free!

help with fan blade removal

watt9386

Reaction score
City, State
Croydon, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt & 97 sport
i need to change the fan blade on my 94. i cant seem to get the fan clutch separated from the water pump. attached is a picture of where i am now.

5bp8m.jpg

i need to know what i can do to get this finished tonight (possibly) thanks guys. oh, btw i dont have access to the proper tools.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not having the proper tools nor the access to them is a problem. you will need a fan clutch remover tool or wrenches that are the correct size in order to be able to remove the fan clutch.

I tried the tools from AutoZone and Advance, but they were built of thin metal and the wrench had stretched open - wrench just slipped on nut when I applied pressure.
Then I tried the tools from O'Reillys... they were thicker and hadn't stretched open.
Still took two of us, but got it loose finally.
Just my experience.
Good luck!

Found a ride to auto zone tomorrow. Hope they have the tools for rental there and i dont have to go back.

ok this probably isn't the recommended route, and I'll add a disclaimer that it could warp some parts, but worked fine in my case... but heres what I did on my wifes Grand Cherokee (so don't quote if it is the same for yoru explorer, haven't done one on there). I went and rented the tools from Advance Auto Parts, and they weren't even close to being right... went to Napa they weren't much better... so... I found a hole that went through the pulley piece (the part where the belt spins) and I stuck a bolt through it that was long enough to "catch" on something on the other side... this allowed me to turn the fan bolt without turning the whole assembly and it came right off.

Again, I'm sure someone will tell me I'm dumb, that I could've broke something, or whatever... as it was I was replacing the water pump anyways and nothing got hurt in the process :)

Back