Help with flashing OD light / CEL / rattle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with flashing OD light / CEL / rattle.

doctorklon

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT 2W
Started earlier this week:

Vehicle is a '99 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD, 4.0L SOHC. 230,000 miles.

Pulled the code. It is P-1740.

No leaks, but the transmission fluid hasn't been changed since I've had the car (at 160,000). I have the stuff to change the fluid/filter/etc.

However, along with the CEL, there is a new sound, only when in D or R, that goes away in neutral or park. Sounds like little rocks inside of a soda can.

The code is for the TC, and my research leads me to a TCC solenoid.

A few concerns/questions:

1. I really need the truck to last at least another 4 months until I graduate, but I will soon thereafter buy a new car. So I need to do this as cheaply as possible.

2. Is there a place to buy the TCC solenoid locally? I called Ford and they want $110 for one. I can't find it at any of the chain type places; might it be under a different name?

3. Anything else that could cause this kind of rattle / these symptoms? If I reset the computer, it is fine until I have to cruise at 50 mph or higher. If I'm just driving around town it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Anything else I should do when I drop the pan? Any aftermarket suppliers?

Thanks!

I don't think your problem is going to be the solenoid, the 1740 code is more of a mechanical failure with the lock up circuit rather than a electrical problem. With that noise I would say that the problem will be with the converter itself and maybe a pump issue also. Converters can make noise in drive or reverse and be somewhat quite in park and neutral, this is a indication of broken parts inside the converter. Sometimes when small pieces come out of the converter they can get into the pump and cause damage there also. With that kind of mileage on the clock there is a good chance there are more issues going on inside the transmission.

You very well may have to completely rebuild this transmission, or at a minimum replace the converter.

Thanks for the reply...

The ATF hadn't been changed since I got the car, so I dropped the pan on Sunday and replaced the oil/filter/gasket and inspected the TCC solenoid (since my car's manufacture date falls within a TSB about failed crimp connectors.) Mine wasn't in the lot. The oil looked old but not burnt and there weren't metal shavings or anything in the pan.

However, I did find the source of the rattle -- a rusted circular clamp thing that vibrated in the right way when in drive/rev. So the rattle disappeared after I removed it.

The car shifts / operates without a problem. I'd really like to get another 10k out of the transmission if at all possible...My bro in law is coming next week and I'm thinking of changing out the TC. I already ordered the TCC solenoid so I'll throw that in this weekend and hope it does something.

my source says code p1740 is " torque convertor clutch soleniod inductive signal" changing the soleniod and checking the connections as well as changing oil etc may well be the answer, good luck

Back