Help with Fram Filter selection for a 5R55E tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Fram Filter selection for a 5R55E tranny

Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
What Fram filter for my 5R55E transmission on my 97 XLT 4WD Explorer?

FRM-FT1087A> I thought this one would fit as it is for the 5R55E 4WD box, but for a 2003 not 97

FRM-FT1115A> According to Summit’s books this is the right part but it’s only listed for 2WD explorers with 5R55E not 4WD?

What is the right Filter, is there a difference between 2WD and 4WD trannys?

Cheers.

The 4wd has a deeper filter (the pan is also deeper). Here is the comparison from the above link:
FT1087A.gif
FT1115A.gif

Thanks Guys

The FT1087A was the one I was looking at. Look’s like I will order it along with my Braded Radiator Hoses and the Blue Good year heater hoses.

I got a solution for that little Hose that runs from the Top of the Water pump to the thermostat housing on the SOHC engine too. I got a piece of hose from work that we use on the Gearbox Cooling heat exchangers; it’s rated at 300PSI I don’t think I will need to worry about that hose splitting ever LOL .

I don’t know what Ford was thinking when they put that hose there it’s like 2 ½ inch long and is in a basted of a spot, I mean it’s just a pointless hose

Back