• Register Today It's free!

Help with front axle

yellowford

Reaction score
City, State
Gardner ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xj
So here's the story I sold my 3rd gen due to trannsmission issues and getting tired of chasing codes, this led to finding another 2nd gen with the 5.0. Well I got one but have a pretty bad issue the front axle is toast. I can spin each front wheel when the other is till on the ground, and spin the rear tires when taking off, the front driveshaft is deffinetly attached to the transfer case. How hard is it to swap out the front axle assembly for another one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds more like a transfer case problem than a front differential problem.

One thing to check however is this. Are the axle shafts complete or did someone remove them and leave the splined shafts in the bearing hubs? This is the only way it could be. If the axle shafts are complete it means someone removed the ring. The pinion has to be retained for the drive shaft to be attached.

I would also guess that this is a transfer case issue.

However, in the unlikely event that it is your front diff and you have 3.55 gears (axle code 45 on the sticker inside the driver's door) then I just so happen to have a spare front end. It's actually still in my X right now, but selling it would motivate me to swap in my 4.10s, lol.

On the transfer case you can not spin the front driveshaft so there isn't a problem there, but you can spin each of the front tires with the other on the ground which leads me to believe there is a problem with the gears inside, as you spin one of the wheels it makes a clicking noise. It makes a rubbing type sound while driving, so it looks like I'll be replacing the axle assembly which seems to be the easiest than trying to put new gears in it. I have already located an assembly for $100 which seems like it will be the easiest to do. It also looks like the current axle is leaking badly from one of the sides.

Does anyone know of a right up for dropping the front axle assembly, it would make this much easier.

Thanks for finding the right up for me, when I searched just kept coming up blank. Hopefully I can get the axle tomorrow and get it done next weekend.

Just curious. Have you figured out what is wrong yet?

Just curious. Have you figured out what is wrong yet?
I won't be able to figure it out till this weekend as I am at school and its sitting in my parents garage, but I'll post up once I figure out the problem.

I got the new axle put in and hopefully it doesn't start leaking, the old one was bone dry when I pulled it out so it had been leaking. Now is where the weird part is the pinion was completely shot you can spin the yoke and the ring doesn't spin, when looking at the pinion it looks like the teeth are ground down from not being lubricated. I will probably pull it apart all the way and take pictures of it later.

The old one is all pulled apart now and here are the not so pretty pictures.
SANY0411.jpg

SANY0412.jpg

SANY0413.jpg

SANY0414.jpg

SANY0415.jpg

SANY0417.jpg

SANY0418.jpg

SANY0419.jpg

SANY0420.jpg

SANY0421.jpg

SANY0422-1.jpg

Yes I know thats a lot of pictures.

Thats bad, what does the ring gear look like?

I think the word "bad" to describe this is definately an understatement!!

Were there a ton of metal shavings in the pumpkin? If not, I wonder if that was some moron's way of making the truck 2WD?...especially if the ring gear was good.

Were there a ton of metal shavings in the pumpkin? If not, I wonder if that was some moron's way of making the truck 2WD?...especially if the ring gear was good.

There were some but not as many as I would have expected but they were all extremely small so maybe this can happen when you neglect to look for leaks and check how much gear oil is in your diffs.

With the pinion gear looking like that, there would be a TON of shavings. Just try to visualize how much metal is gone. I suspect the previous owner might have had a problem with it ... maybe thats the reason why he sold it in the first place???

Back