Help with front drivers side squealing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with front drivers side squealing

JasonN

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS 4x4, 03 XLS
This is my first post so I hope I covered everything.
I have a 99 4door 4.0 OHV that is 4 wheel drive. Before I bought it mechanic told me that the front wheel bearing needed replaced. I bought the explorer and the passengers side went smooth. Drivers side was very difficult. Long story short after putting it back together and rotating the hub with wheel off it binds on every complete rotation. You can actually see it lift the entire drivers side front suspension about 1/4 inch. This was beyond my knowledge so it was towed to a local garage and I was told the axle had to be replaced on the drivers side and it was along with the lower ball joint.
Everything seemed good until I was in the woods on dirt roads and decided to cycle through 4 high and 4 low. After that it started squealing with each rotation. I thought the inexpensive hub I put on had already gone bad so I replaced with Timken hubs. Squeal is still there and with each rotation and I can feel it when driving, like a flat spot on a tire. Assume it is binding again. Does anyone have any ideas what I can try before spending more money at a garage?

Thanks

Back