• Register Today It's free!

Help with leaking unknown oil

kaised

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Bronco XLT
Heres the deal - Got home and parked for 1 hr - went out and found a small (4 in diam.) puddle of unknown oil under the frond end. Wasn't engine oil, it was almost greenish?? I've got a pretty greasy undercarriage so I can't really tell where its coming from. It def. was not AT, PS or brake fluid. Could this be diff fluid? I've been hearing a weird noise from the front which I though might have been an exhaust leak, (almost a rubbing or escaping air sound) when I accelerate. Does this sound like anything familiar to anyone?? Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it coolant perhaps?

Green=coolant

Coolant if its green.
Check the front of the engine under the water pump, also could be a loose hose clamp, or split hose. Also the tanks on the rads have some problems after a few miles check the joints between the core and the tanks. pressure test should point things out pretty quick.

Good Luck

nope, definitly oil - greenish oil

Does it smell?

It could be gear oil I guess- best way to tell is the smell- gear oil stinks - heavy sulfur smell would be my best description.

If so then places to look would be:pinion seal, and the axle shaft seals. May be the diff cover

Good Luck

yeah, it did stink, kind of like the smell of grease - could this anyway be related to any front end noise I've heard?

Could be- check the fluid level. Take a good look around the pinion flange for leakage. Also both sides of the diff for seal problems, sometimes driving in tall grass or fields a stalk or piece of grass will get wrapped up around the pinion or axle and erode the seals.
What kind of noises do you have? May want to jack up the front axle and spin the drive shaft a few times see if you can track down the noise.

Good Luck

Back