Help with LED's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with LED's

Hey guys, I have an '02 X and wanted to go with LED brake/ turn signal lights, and I've read on the forums about the hyper blinking and stuff, so I bought an electronic flashing unit locally, and bought a pair of 3157 4-wire led's on Ebay. They're supposed to allow for low & high for signals... Upon installing them, they won't turn on with the lights, (or at least not both) and they don't blink at all. By reversing the polarity (flipping it over, and putting back in) one will light, but not the other, and vice-versa. What is going on here? Help please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem on my 02 mounty. The 3157s will blink but not stay oon solid to be the park light too. They did to the fast blink thing but that can be fixed by load resistors. I just can't figure out the park light issue.

STU

I was reading on here somewhere that someone just bent the little wires on the bulb over on the other side, and that fixed the problem. So I'm gonna try that after work tonight & see how that goes...

What do you mean bent the wires? I would love to put them in mine. The front lenxes are clear and those yellow bulbs kill me. I know I would sill have to put in load resistors but that is simple.
STU

The four little wires on the bulb...

So I was checking the bulbs again, and noticed that my brake light bulb was a 3057, & not a 3157... The I popped out the other lens & it IS a 3157. So I decided to try putting the LED's in the front turn signals, and they light up! They even flash with the signals, except they don't light up as the daytime running lamps, and the truck thinks I have burnt out bulbs... Am I right in assuming the LED's aren't "dual-intensity"? Is that what the problem could be with them in the back?

Back