• Register Today It's free!

Help with noise fast1

jakegator

Reaction score
City, State
PA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4dr ohv
Hello, some of you have helped me with my previous explorer and thanks for that! However the engine tore it self to pieces so i scrapped it. Im looking at a 98 5sp 4.0L right now for 1600. Engine runs great and trans runs great! However there is a very load roar/grinding. Its not metal on metal it sounds like big tires with a ton of tread(which it doesnt have). Any suggestions as to what this is? The guy needs my answer in the next few days and im not sure what to say?

thanks,Jake

Jake, couple questions, is the engine SOHC, is it 4wd, and is the noise present when parked, driving, or both? Because I wonder if its a wheel bearing.

Hello is is 4wd it is not present when parked, and i believe it is the OHV although it looks a little different then what im used to, its not the SOHC. Not sure how this plays into it but it does get quiter when i push the clutch pedal? Im relaly deciding if i should buy it or not, other than the noise its perfect. If its the the transfer id just jy one and i can do the bearing myself.

Back