• Register Today It's free!

Help with overheating?

Dbey24

Reaction score
City, State
PIttsburgh,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 2007 Ford Explorer has been overheating. I had the thermostat replaced and also the temperature sensor. 1.There is coolant in the reservoir but when I take the radiator cap off it doesn’t look like the coolant is going thru to it. 2. Also there is a pipe above my exhaust that leaks onto the exhaust what is the pipe and what can I do to fix it. Can I get some help with these to problems please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pic of the "pipe" would help.
My guess is your heater core is leaking. There is a drain on the passenger side under the HVAC box, if that is where it's coming from, you are in for some fun.
Did mine last year.

Does the pipe drip while the A/C is running? If that's the case its probably just condensate water.

As for the overheating, that could be a myriad of issues, but I would bet that you have air in the system since you just replaced the thermostat. Run the engine with the radiator cap off and slowly add coolant as it drops. Make sure not to run the engine too long or the coolant may boil over on you.

No it doesn’t drip while the A/C is running...I should pour coolant in the radiator cap and not the reservoir? The reservoir is full but it’s not getting to the radiator

My guess is your heater core is leaking. There is a drain on the passenger side under the HVAC box, if that is where it's coming from, you are in for some fun.
Did mine last year.
Its coming from rear driver side right above exhaust...I was told that I need a rear heater core could that be the problem?

Does the pipe drip while the A/C is running? If that's the case its probably just condensate water.

As for the overheating, that could be a myriad of issues, but I would bet that you have air in the system since you just replaced the thermostat. Run the engine with the radiator cap off and slowly add coolant as it drops. Make sure not to run the engine too long or the coolant may boil over on you.

No it doesn’t drip while the A/C is running...I should pour coolant in the radiator cap and not the reservoir? The reservoir is full but it’s not getting to the radiator

Did mine last year.

B5A96293-BE7D-4245-B8A4-CB33F2067532.jpeg

Me thinks you have a coolant leak from your rear heater core.

Check those clamps on the hoses, The OEM clamps rust out over time.

Did you fill your radiator as you told to do so by several of us replying to your post?

Back