Help with Pitman arm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with Pitman arm

Cbjordan

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok my Power steering Gearbox is shot. Leeks out all the fluid in less then 10 miles. So I gotta replace it. I read up on how to do that here, figured no problem I'm not a total idiot. Set screw out no problem Lines off no problem.
I rented the puller for the Pittman arm and it all went to s**t. Low and behold the darn thing won't fit on the arm as the arm is too close to the gearbox to let it slide over. Tried prying the arm down, nothing. Tried hamming it down but no room to swing. Can't heat it as everything in the area is covered in in Tranny Fluid and I really don't need a fire.
So it sits in my Driveway dead. Money is a MAJOR issue at the moment, I'm out of work and really need a running vehicle. So if any of you have any ideas I'd really love to hear them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Option: go to the junk yard and pull out a steering box with a pitman arm and use the entire unit as it is.

As for transmission fluid and heating, use a smaller flame and point it only at the arm itself. I doubt you'll start a fire but just in case, always have an extinguisher nearby.

If you have more time than money, maybe removing the entire steering gear box from the frame, then removing the arm would be another option.

Yes, it's obviously more labor, but if you're unemployed, you have plenty of time and it won't cost any money.

your changing the gear box anyways? or you are rebuilding it, so you might as well remove it from the frame and do the job right.

make the necessary repairs and put it back on the frame or change it out for the new steering box

My 2 cents on the pitman arm puller, if you go that route, is just grind down the two ends of it.

You can shave it down to a nice thin(ner) point to be able to get it into the gap. It's trial and error though...if you go too much you risk making the puller too thin and weak and then you're really screwed.

I had to do that though to be able to use the puller I got when I tried to remove my pitman arm.

My 2 cents on the pitman arm puller, if you go that route, is just grind down the two ends of it.

You can shave it down to a nice thin(ner) point to be able to get it into the gap. It's trial and error though...if you go too much you risk making the puller too thin and weak and then you're really screwed.

I had to do that though to be able to use the puller I got when I tried to remove my pitman arm.

I had the same problem and ended up buying a pitman arm puller so I could shave it and not feel guilty about messing with a rental, but honestly, screw the rebuild and go pull one from a junk yard. Most yards set their vehicles up on 'rim stands' and take the tires off, so you should be able to feel if the rack and pinion gear box has lots of slop or not, just find a 1st gen explorer or ranger that 'feels good' and pull that assembly, gearbox and pitman arm together. It will save you lots (and I mean LOTS) of pain, and then if you feel like pulling your gearbox apart and seeing if you can rebuild it, awesome, now you got a spare.

Done

Thanks for the advice guys, ended up pulling the Tie rod side then opening the gear box, got the arm off, went to the Junk Yard to get the replacement one and they left the pitman arm on, so now I have a NICE paperweight for my desk.

Well done! I'm glad that she lives again.

Back