• Register Today It's free!

Help with plans for future mods

wingcmdr

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Admin, if this needs to be moved please do so, I think I'm in the right spot.

Ok, so I have a 1997 Merc Mounty 5.0 AWD with 180k miles on it that I've owned for a little over a month. I've had an idea of what I'd like to do with it once I can get some money, and after managing to drift it around the patio at work after raining all day, I really can't wait to get started, but I'm just not sure where to start.

Here's the overall 'theme' of what I want it to be.
Mainly:

1) Be able to adjust ride height, stiffer and lower, and softer and higher, road driving and off-road driving respectively
2) Transfer case swap, or keep it AWD, I'm not sure on this part
3) Power adders while keeping stock 5.0, might even rebuild it

Secondly:
1) Keep it looking just like it looks on the outside ride now.....sleeper (aside from ride height of course)

For power adders I'm thinking exhaust mods first, I'm in NC so I can't remove cats (sucks).
Eventually different heads and eventually a supercharger (over a turbo for instant power, no waiting to spool up).
I've read it's that same engine that was in the mustang, so would a mustang trans fit?
I don't know if it's easy or even possible, but I'd like for the suspension to be stiffer when it's lowered for better road handling, and softer when it's raised to stock ride height (or a little higher) for normal handling and off-road fun.
And I'd like the suspension to be easily and quickly changed 'on the fly', like while sitting in a parking lot or at a red light.

Any help and any ideas would be awesome y'all.
Thanks!
I'll try to upload some pictures of it as it sits later.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are looking to build to different vehicles. You need to pick whether you want an off road vehicle or a street truck.

Any thing can be done , if you got the $$$
Good luck.

Whenever the ride height is changed on an IFS explorer you must perform a front end alignment for proper camber angle. You will not be able to have a "flip of the switch" setup like you asked-

Lifted or lowered, you will have to pick one.

Unless you wanna spend crazy money on custom built stuff and either run air bags or hydros like a lowrider, and at that point it will no longer do off road or on road very well and will wear out parts very quickly, look around on this forum, look at the modified section and you will see street trucks and offroaders and read the build threads, most on here post prices and show how hard or easy there modifications are, spend a few days just reading and then you will be able to decide what is possible with your budget, time, and ability

Hmm was afraid of that. Airbags, when set to higher ride height are stiffer correct? Which would be opposite of what I'm looking for. If it were lowered an inch or so would it still be a capable woods trail truck our would that be too low for most things?

Back