FMExplorer

the original tramp
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer EB
Ok,
I already look moronic asking for help with installing a spark plug, so let's keep the jokes to a minimum<G>

Last night I got 5 of 6 Bosch Plat +4's installed. I can't seem to get a good enough grip on the last plug wire - located back left when facing the engine. There is a heat shield or insulation surrounding part of the A/C (I think) and the unit is not easliy moveable. Any tips on getting this stinking wire off? I would cut the thing but I don't have my new wires yet. Thanks for the help.

BTW - there is a noticeable improvement with 5 plugs <G>

Jon M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I WENT UP THRU THE PASS. SIDE WHEEL WELL! WORKED WELL FOR ME AS I ONLY NEEDED ONE PINT OF BLOOD WHEN I WAS FINISHED! GOOD LUCK!

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.
bosch plat.4s
jacobs electronics wires
k&n drop in- mod. airbox.
skid plate
maxflow exhaust
smittybilt front bumper
thule roof rack
more to come! ;)

Pull the right front wheel off, remove the splash shield, and you'll be looking directly at that plug.

You'll need a long extension and a wobble/flex adapter. May also want to pick up some of those push fasteners to put the splash shield back on if you break any.

Good Luck

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control.

96 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Two other cars that aren't Explorers

Well,
I feel like a complete idiot<G> I can't believe I never even thought of removing the wheel to get to the spark plug - a mravel of engineering genius<VBG>

Thanks for your help guys - I just went and checked it out. Looks like it'll work. I also ordered a spare pint of A-positive...

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
(Am/Fm cassette head + 6-disc changer in the center console)
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: Headers, 1.5" lift (add-a-leaf and spacers), 31x10.50's

Jim,
Take many pictures and document the headers well<G> I will be doing that in a few months - I would love to save some knuckle-skin at your expense<G>

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
Rancho RS5000's

You dont have to remove the wheel, just crank the steering all the way to the left, hold the splash shield back with one hand and use the other to guide a long extension to the plug, I think I use a 10 and a 6 with a universal joint between them and at the socket. Takes less time than writing this damn description.

Good luck

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

who would have ever thought that grown men would someday sit in front of a computer and explain to another grown man ( both somewhat intelligent) how to change a stupid spark plug? it is almost funny, but without this site there are alot of projects i would have never gotten through.

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.
bosch plat.4s
jacobs electronics wires
k&n drop in- mod. airbox.
skid plate
maxflow exhaust
smittybilt front bumper
thule roof rack
more to come! ;)

I know the feeling I just changed plugs in my 96 Sport. I think it's a shame that you can't get to all of the plugs without going from an odd place like a wheel well. It's going to be great fun when I try to install headers.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.

JonM,
I only have 3 words to say. BUY MECHANICS GLOVES! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

We did the plugs in my explorer all from the top. Don't ask me how...is was a pain in the @$$. Do you have one of those tools for pulling the plug wires? It helped out a lot on some of those plugs.

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
80,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

There is a notch cut out on my splash guard in the wheel well, made it easy to change that plug! Dead Link Removed

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

Just like Steve said you do not need to remove the wheel. Turn your wheel all the way to get to that lasts spark plug. My 93 has a cut out in the wheel well to access that plug.
It's not a hard job and it should not take to long.
Good luck

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

SUCCESS AT LAST! Thanks for your help guys. Here's the final word... Turn your steering wheel all the way to the left. You shouldn't need to cut or bend the wheel well - I cleared no problems. 3/8" socket with a 4" extension = piece of cake. Removing the wire from totally helped. 1 last piece of advice - don't do this job with 3 year old twins around - they may here things they shouldn't<G>

Jon M

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
Rancho RS5000's

Congratulations Jon! Job well done.

Back