• Register Today It's free!

Help with Rear Wiper PLEASE

zman7125

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I purchased a few months back a '00 AWD Explorer Limited 5.0L with 54k on it. The rear wiper arm wasnt holding tension so I ordered an OEM Motorcraft one to replace it. The previous one came off perfectly fine, but for the life of me I cannot get the new one back on. I cycle the motor so I know its in the off position, I try and line up the wiper and slip it over the splines and it will not budge. Am I missing something here? Please help before I put my fist and this wiper threw the back glass haha. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

Your shaft has tapered splines. By the picture, it looks like the splines on the arm are not tapered. Am I not seeing the splines correctly? And in the picture with the arm on the shaft, is that the old arm or the new one?

That's the new arm in the picture, it doesnt feel like it wants to slip over them.

I thought there was only two different types of arms, '90-'97 and '98+ when they re designed the rear hatch?

According to what I see in the pictures, the arm is seated on the splines. Can you move the arm when you have it on the shaft?

Nah, it doesnt seem to want to go on all the way. It feels like its hanging up and the shaft moves freely from it. I just dont want to strip anything out

Ford may have sold you the wrong arm. My suggestion is to return it. Get your money back and just forget about the rear wiper. They never work anyway, due to poor design. There are countless threads on this forum on this subject. I've written a few myself.

Haha alright, I figured I would give it a shot. Its a winter beater anyways. Thanks for the time though guys!

Back