help with self painting

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
ok, I have posted before about painting my bumpers, and fender flares the factory color. I was asking how much it would cost. But now I was thinking of doing it myself. I dont know too much about painting. I know that I must sand, prime and paint. But my question is how do I go about these things. Should I rent a sprayer from my local tool rental shop, or should I have the paint put in cans? how do I sand, by hand or with a tool? What grit do I use? What primer do I use, and how many coats. I think it would give a great satasfaction to do it myself, and it would save me cash. where can I get the paint from. I know the code. From my ford dealer? OK sorry for all the questions, but lastly, do you guys think I should try this? I am very mechanicly incined, and I know the most important thing is to take my time. Also how long should I wait for them to dry, and is it ok to do the painting outside? I would appreciate any help. I saw one persons explorer on here where he did his with spray paint, and it looks great. thanks everyone in advance,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi guys, dont mean to be a bother, but can someone help me out with this? I know it was talked about before, but I couldnt find it under any key words I could think of in th search. I really want to get this done, and if I can save some money doing it myself, that woudl be great. Besides its more gratifying to do your mods yourself.
Thanks,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Jason, I would suggest purchasing a sprayer from home depot( located in the tool isle.) get the one that works by air. Then you could rent an air compressor for a few days. There are places that sell automotive paint. I know there is a place by be, I believe the name of the store is "Finishmaters". Try calling information to see if there is a listing in your area. Also try autobody shop to see where they get paint and primer from. I would suggest that you prime and paint inside this way you dont get dust. Also try to make some type of enclosure out of wood and plastic so that once your done painting, you can cover the bumper so that dust gets on it. As far as sand paper, you can do it by hand, just start out with fine, like 200 grit and go all the way to 600 or 800 grit. I do know that when you making the primer smooth, you do have to sand it with water. Hope this helps.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
More to Come Before Summer :)

Oh yea, If you have the money, try to buy an air compressor for you own use. It helps out a lot when working on your truck. I have a 5hp, 20 gal compressor made by Cambell Hausfield, an Air Ratchet and an impact wrenchand 2 50 ft hoses. Think I paid little over $300 for everything. This is just a thought. You can even probably get a compressor out of the wanted press for less than $100.

thanks alot ems, what you said was very helpful. I have a compressor at work which I can use. I have an apartment, so I dont have anyplace do this stuff at home. But I have the liberty of using my work as my personal automoive shop ;-) So if I do this, how long do I have to wait before I can touch, and put them back on? Will I get a ticket for not having the bumper covers on? Also when sanding how much shouLd I Sand? and I have to sand again after the primer right? Thanks alot. I will probably do this sometime next week. I am pretty excited about it, and am looking forward to it. I will be sure to post pics when i am done. Thanks a million
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

hmm well thanks guys, now this brings up another question. my bumpers are plastic. they are gray clearcoat it looks like. Now I want to paint them the same as the rest of the body. which is red. Will I be able to paint them both the same color?I have light covers on the front, and my friend painted them for me, they are the same as the body color, and match really well. So I assume that my plastic bumpers and fender flares will match well too. Should I use the same paint as the rest of the body? Or will I be able to find a matching color for plastics? Thanks alot guys. Oh yeah, and how many coats should I put on of primer and the clearcoat? Thanks alot. I really want to try this myself. I hope it ocmes out good. Thanks alot,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

I have never used an air sprayer wit primer or paint, but when I tried painting my motorcycle fairings a fear years back, I put on 2 coats of primer before I sanded. I would suggest 2 coats primer, 1 coat paint, 2 coats of clear coat. If you can leave the bumpers in the shop for a few days, Do that. And if youcan place them near a heater to help drying good, I would try that.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
More to Come Before Summer :)

WOW - you are in for some work. If this is your first time with this type of project, plan on taking at least twice as long as you think it will. I don't mean to discourage you, its fun doing your own work and the pride of knowing you did it yourself is unbelievable. You mentioned you are doing bumpers and fender flares. The responses you've rec'd from others is good advice IF your bumpers and flares are metal. IF they are made of vinyl or some type of plastic, you need to find a paint that will flex with the parts. Your local automotive paint shop should be able to help out. IF your bumpers have a chrome coating, sandblasting to bare metal is ideal, but at least scratch it up the best you can (maybe 200 grit?). Remember that paint amplifies scratches, not cover them up. Painting itself is an art - take your time. Pay very close attention to that fine line between not enough paint per coat and too much paint. Somewhere between these two line you will see the paint flow to form a gloss look - any more and you risk paint runs. Regarding drying time: I recommend leaving it overnight. Sometimes you can touch it and remove masking tape in a few hours, but definately don't drive it 'til the next day. Enamel automotive paints harden over time, so don't wash it for at least a week, longer if you can avoid the temptation. You will learn the basics as you go, don't be discouraged by minor imperfections (its called "character" in the housing industry). Most of all, enjoy the experience. There is nothing like a fresh coat of paint to show off your vehicle - especially when you can say you did it yourself.

------------------
'92 XLT 4X4 4.0L

hey guys, well I got all my materials, and paint yesterday. I am goign to attempt to do this on my windjammer first and see how it comes out. I have one more question just to clarify. Now should I sand before primer, or just after. Or should I sand before it, add the primer, then sand again? Thanks alot guys, you have been a big help. Hopefully if I do well on the windjammer, I will tackle the bumperson, and fender flares. If someone can respond with my question asap, I would appreciate it. Thanks guys, wish me luck
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Back