Help with sluggish shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with sluggish shifting

petzl90

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I own a '98 XLT Explorer with 80,000 miles on it. Its a V6 SOHC 5 speed Automatic. Everything is stock except for a K&N FIPK Air Intake System I added. It runs great expect for the valves clatter, and the shifting is sluggish and jerky. The valves clattering im not worried about to much, I use 89 octane fuel and it comes and goes. The thing im most worried about is my shifting. When I drive carefully and not let the RPMs get to high it will shift fine but very hard and jerks bad enough to really feel it. When I have to take off(pulling out when its busy) It wont shift, the RPMs keep climbing non stop as far as I can find out. The most I let it get one time was 5500 RPM(sence the gauge tops at 6000). But if I let go of the gas it will shift, again a very jerky shift. So the only way I can get up and go is to accelerate, let go and let it shift, then hit it again. Its very odd. My brothers '02 explorer (which was falling apart) takes off fine. You can floor his explorer and it will shift fine. He has had alot of transmission problems too.
Im not very deep in the pockets so a simple fix or mod is all I can do.

Thanks for your help.

Back