Help with tire size, please!

bumpkin

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
"02 XLT
Hello,

I have a 2004 Explorer XLS that I am hoping to get one or two more winters out of without spending much more money than I already have keeping this old goat alive. Stock tire size is 235/70R16. I need snows at my new home. I have a chance to get a set of Blizzack 235/60R16 for a very good price. Bad idea? OK idea? Why?

Thank you very much!

Hello,

I have a 2004 Explorer XLS that I am hoping to get one or two more winters out of without spending much more money than I already have keeping this old goat alive. Stock tire size is 235/70R16. I need snows at my new home. I have a chance to get a set of Blizzack 235/60R16 for a very good price. Bad idea? OK idea? Why?

Thank you very much!
If a two-wheel drive, good idea! If 4X4 bad idea. 235/60R16 tire is slightly smaller than the stock 235/70R16. Mixing those sizes on a 4X4 will result in 4X4 AUTO trying to "kick-in" 4-wheel drive all the time, with disastrous results. 4X4s require ALL 4 tires be the same rolling diameter.

If a two-wheel drive, good idea! If 4X4 bad idea. 235/60R16 tire is slightly smaller than the stock 235/70R16. Mixing those sizes on a 4X4 will result in 4X4 AUTO trying to "kick-in" 4-wheel drive all the time, with disastrous results. 4X4s require ALL 4 tires be the same rolling diameter.
Thanks for your reply. However, I would be replacing all four tires, not mixing. And yes, 4x4. Good idea?

Back