Help with trailer lights | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Help with trailer lights

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hey all I have a 97 xlt. I am having troubles getting my trailer lights to work. I went to the auto parts store and bought the 4 flat plug that plugs into the connector under the rear bumper of the suv. Hooked it all up and have no trailer lights. I checked and I have power at the plug so I know it's not a fuse or anything. Somebody said it's because I have the amber turn signals and I need some type of adapter. Anybody got any ideas of what I need? I pull a trailer frequently and don't need a ticket just cuz my trailer lights aren't working..

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Chances are it is a ground issue. The small trailers we have ground through the ball hitch. On new powder coated recievers it does not ground too well til they get scuffed up a bit.

<

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
That amber business is a load of rubbish.

<

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
The lights work fine when it's hooked up to my dad's truck though..

<

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
The lights work fine when it's hooked up to my dad's truck though..

+1 on what drdoom said. This seems to support that if your Dad's truck is a little older and grounds better thru hitch. If need be, you can add a connectorized ground wire to your wiring arrangement. Good luck.

<

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
Dad's truck is actually newer. It's a 2012 chevy

<