Help with trailer lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with trailer lights

Stazz75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hey all I have a 97 xlt. I am having troubles getting my trailer lights to work. I went to the auto parts store and bought the 4 flat plug that plugs into the connector under the rear bumper of the suv. Hooked it all up and have no trailer lights. I checked and I have power at the plug so I know it's not a fuse or anything. Somebody said it's because I have the amber turn signals and I need some type of adapter. Anybody got any ideas of what I need? I pull a trailer frequently and don't need a ticket just cuz my trailer lights aren't working..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chances are it is a ground issue. The small trailers we have ground through the ball hitch. On new powder coated recievers it does not ground too well til they get scuffed up a bit.

That amber business is a load of rubbish.

The lights work fine when it's hooked up to my dad's truck though..

The lights work fine when it's hooked up to my dad's truck though..

+1 on what drdoom said. This seems to support that if your Dad's truck is a little older and grounds better thru hitch. If need be, you can add a connectorized ground wire to your wiring arrangement. Good luck.

Dad's truck is actually newer. It's a 2012 chevy

Back