• Register Today It's free!

help with trailer lights!!!

prozachappy

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer...sportster
Problems with trailer lights! My 94 sport doesn't have the pre-wired tow package, a couple years ago I added the T-harness that attaches in the back left storage compartment and a heavy duty flasher. I have been towing a small trailer with a 4-wire connection. The lights were always alittle screwy..working most of the time..but sometimes not. I just bought a 20ft' travel trailer with electric brakes, so I bought the 7-wire adapter and elec brake control. It's all wired but the lights are even worse with this trailer! At first, I thought trailer ground, but it's hooked up. With two diff. trailers its gotta be something with my truck! Here's what it does left tail and left running lights work sometimes, but step on the brake and all trailer lights go out! Turn on blinker and both flash. Checked harness and regrounded the trailer harness wire. Now I get left tail, and when I hit the brakes the reverse lights light up. Put it in reverse and both tail lights come on. I get a left blinker, but the right still flashes both! I'm so lost... any help would be GRRREAT! I have to tow this 3400lbs baby 1300 miles on Saturday!

Something is wromng involving the electric brake circuit...I would start over from scratch if I were you.....

I'd start all over too. Sounds like you have a short and wires crossed.

Back