• Register Today It's free!

Help with UK 97 4.0L Explorer.

dillwad

Reaction score
City, State
Witham UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
HI Guys,
I am new to the site and have a 4L 97 Explorer completely stock. I have a few questions to ask, which may seem stupid, but you don't know what you don't know right?

1) I have NO idea how to change the headlight bulbs. It seems that they are held in from behind and looks like a mission just to change the bulbs. I have to be wrong. Does anyone know??
2) I know there is a "Fog" light switch in the centre console just right of the radio, which switches on my rear fog lights, but how on earth do I swtich on the front fog lights?? Mine do not work, so do both front and rear lights actually swtcih on at the same time from the same switch, or is there a separate switch, or procedure which does this?? I accept that the bulbs could be gone, but felt it was easier to ask first.
3) I have noticed some nice aftermarket headlights with "Halo" style twin Xenon style units but cannot find anywhere that offers aftermarket styling, especially in the UK.

As I said, all of this may seem crazy to ask about, but it is driving me nuts. My thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome dill

head light bulbs

hi and welcome. to change headlight bulbs there are two access flaps on the slam panel above the headlights open those remove connector rubber cover and unclip the bulb. the front fog light aren't fog lights but axillary driving lights and should come on with main beam. hope this helps. cheers chris

Hi Dillwad and welcome

On the issue of HID lights i know SB98UKexplorer has this upgrade. However i have read that in the uk to have the HID Xenons you should have auto levelling and headlight wash/wipe to be legal.
If you have a friendly or uninformed MOT station you may get away with it.
Regards

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the UK Explorers forum. Do you have an owner's manual? It should show you how to replace light bulbs.

Hi Buddy, thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, you are absolutely right, it would make sense to get an owners manual, but sadly I don't have one right now. Thanks again.

hi and welcome. to change headlight bulbs there are two access flaps on the slam panel above the headlights open those remove connector rubber cover and unclip the bulb. the front fog light aren't fog lights but axillary driving lights and should come on with main beam. hope this helps. cheers chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the info on the aux lights, it figures. I am aware of the two flaps on the slam panel, but my fists are 15inches around and I can only get about three fingers in that gap and NO chance of getting enough leverage in there to turn the bulb etc. I can see that maybe taking the battery out is an option, but then you have the whole induction filter assembly the other side. It just seemed a mission, but it is what it is. Many thanks again. A great help.

Hi Dillwad and welcome

On the issue of HID lights i know SB98UKexplorer has this upgrade. However i have read that in the uk to have the HID Xenons you should have auto levelling and headlight wash/wipe to be legal.
If you have a friendly or uninformed MOT station you may get away with it.
Regards

HI,

After I posted this thread, I saw some US companies on E-Bay for special one piece halo/Xenon style healights, but of course it does not state anything about the UK MOT test so, it would be a nightmare to pay the 300-400 dollars to find they need to come out again for the test, bearing in mind the emotional experience it seems to be. Really grateful for your advice.

I also have 'dockyard hands' as my wife puts it,

to change my headlight bulbs I removed the battery on the near side and the air box on the off side, both are just a 5 min job and it then gives you unrestricted access to the bulbs

cheers

jim

HI,

After I posted this thread, I saw some US companies on E-Bay for special one piece halo/Xenon style healights, but of course it does not state anything about the UK MOT test so, it would be a nightmare to pay the 300-400 dollars to find they need to come out again for the test, bearing in mind the emotional experience it seems to be. Really grateful for your advice.

Remember US lights will point to the wrong side for us on dipped and so will fail the MOT.

Hi Buddy, thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, you are absolutely right, it would make sense to get an owners manual, but sadly I don't have one right now. Thanks again.

I have an electronic copy of the Owners Manual in PDF format if anyone wants it. Just PM me with your e mail address.

Welcome mate, good to hear a few of us have big hands and also struggle with flaps!!!! LOL!
I hope youget sorted soon- itsa job I have to do also as I have one bulb that wont full beam, amongst other issues, like thermostate that is dying- yes guys, I still have NOT done that job!! Lazy and busy also- what a bad combination!
Welcome and I hope you can join us for a meet soon!

Owners Manual

Hey Dilliwad here is a link where you can download your owners manual:
Dead Link Removed
Copy amd paste in your browser and follow the instructions.

Back