• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Help with what gears to run

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
Ok, I need some advice here.

Im building a 88 Bronco II, still has the 2.9 with 5 speed. Front is going to be an EB D44 and the rear is allready Sploder 8.8. My plans are in the nature of 36" swampers. Now I still drive this about 10 miles each way to work, nothing major. What would you recommend for gears in this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Kyle0614

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I'd go with 4.88's or higher for that kinda tire size at least i'm going to run 4.88's in my rear when I go too 35's ...:p will that 2.9 push 36's? if so mad props

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
lol... I dont really know, anyone ever run 36's on a 2.9?

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
I know I can run the LTB 34's but I wish they were just a little wider, I may have to go that route anyway to play it safe

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
so you think that little ol 2.9 can push a set of 36's? Or should I go smaller to stay safe

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
If you go smaller than 36s you don't need to swap axles. :D

Stay with the 36s and get 5.13s. the 2.9 will push anything if geared right.

Yota guys with 22Rs are pushing 44s...

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
I like the way you think Froader. I wanted the 36's but there were some other members elsewhere trying to convince me otherwise. I have thought about the Yota boys too..... 22R on 44's with no problems. I was thinking that if I stayed 36's I would need the 4.88's or 5.13's, looks like the 5.13's it is