Help with what gears to run

Free89BroncoII

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
Ok, I need some advice here.

Im building a 88 Bronco II, still has the 2.9 with 5 speed. Front is going to be an EB D44 and the rear is allready Sploder 8.8. My plans are in the nature of 36" swampers. Now I still drive this about 10 miles each way to work, nothing major. What would you recommend for gears in this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with 4.88's or higher for that kinda tire size at least i'm going to run 4.88's in my rear when I go too 35's ...:p will that 2.9 push 36's? if so mad props

lol... I dont really know, anyone ever run 36's on a 2.9?

I know I can run the LTB 34's but I wish they were just a little wider, I may have to go that route anyway to play it safe

so you think that little ol 2.9 can push a set of 36's? Or should I go smaller to stay safe

If you go smaller than 36s you don't need to swap axles. :D

Stay with the 36s and get 5.13s. the 2.9 will push anything if geared right.

Yota guys with 22Rs are pushing 44s...

I like the way you think Froader. I wanted the 36's but there were some other members elsewhere trying to convince me otherwise. I have thought about the Yota boys too..... 22R on 44's with no problems. I was thinking that if I stayed 36's I would need the 4.88's or 5.13's, looks like the 5.13's it is

Back