• Register Today It's free!

Help with wheel offset please!!!

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
Can somebody please try to help my semi retarded brain understand if the wheels my wife wants will fit on her explorer? It's a 2013 Explorer XLT. Came with factory 18's which I believe are 44mm offset. I'm looking at going to 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset. I'm leaning towards 275/45R20 tires. Will this setup work? Her explorer is stock height. No plans to lower.
Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can somebody please try to help my semi retarded brain understand if the wheels my wife wants will fit on her explorer? It's a 2013 Explorer XLT. Came with factory 18's which I believe are 44mm offset. I'm looking at going to 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset. I'm leaning towards 275/45R20 tires. Will this setup work? Her explorer is stock height. No plans to lower.
Thanks in advance for the help!!!
Not sure about the offset but from a "fitting" standpoint the size you quoted is well within the accepted 3.0% diameter variance at 0.57%.

Peter

I'm just worried about any rubbing with that wheel and tire setup.

That offset will push the wheel out 9mm further than stock. The 275 series tires are about 20mm wider than the 255s, if my calculations are correct, so you'd have 10mm on each side.

I think you're in the clear on the inside, since the offset and width differences wash to within a millimeter.

On the outside, you're 19mm further out than stock. I have not tried it, but a purely visual look suggests it would be OK. I do think 275 is about as wide as you can go on an 8.5" wheel width.

I'd go for it. 275/45/20 tires would be just the thing for an Explorer Sport. I may do that myself - let me know how you do.

I was going to run the same setup and spacers bringing it to about 35MM and I double checked and it should work, unless triple checking it shows me something different but I doubt it.
Your offset with those 275 tires should bring the wheels close to flush with the fenders and the sidewall of the tires might poke a little past the fenders if you look across the side of the vehicle, not obvious but would look different from the offset you are at now when you first put them on.

Keep in mind that the further you push the wheels out, the greater the pressure/load will be on the suspension parts including wheel bearings.

Peter

Back