• Register Today It's free!

Help! Wont go into gear

lilmiss_hooligan

Reaction score
City, State
africa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer sport
Hey guys, new here & need some help. While driving my explorer home i noticed the clutch felt soft, then when i tried to accelerate from the stoplight it would not go into gear. It would just grind no matter what gear i tried to start in, so i had to turn the truck off, put it in 1st gear, & start it, & it would jump forward, like when its being push started. Master cylinder reservoir has fluid, & fluid squirts out of it when the caps off & i press the pedal. Also the pedal is realy soft, i can push it to the floor with my hand. Friend says its probably the slave cylinder gone out. Any ideas? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would assume the master cyl is fairly cheap and easy to replace,go ahead and replace it to see.If it fixes it good,if not you still have a new part and then can plan the slave cyl replacement.= all new system.:D

Slave Cylinder?

If the slave cylinder is at fault, not releasing clutch, and the master cylinder is OK, there has to be fluid leaking out of the slave cylinder; look for it under the truck. imp

I did not see any fluid leaking under the truck, but tomorrow when its light out I'll be able to take a closer look at the slave cylinder. Anything else I should check for while Im out there? Thanks for the help guys :)

I did not see any fluid leaking under the truck, but tomorrow when its light out I'll be able to take a closer look at the slave cylinder. Anything else I should check for while Im out there? Thanks for the help guys :)

To actually look at the slave cylinder, one must remove the transmission back away from the engine....slaves were in years back mounted exterior of the clutch housing, and activated a release fork which protruded through into the housing, and moved the throw-out bearing against the clutch release fingers.

Today, the slave is mounted surrounding the transmission input shaft, inside the clutch housing, and it moves the throw-out by bearing directly against it.

If fluid seemed to slosh out of the master cyl. when the cap was removed, and the clutch pedal depressed, this suggests the master cyl. seal cup is allowing passage of fluid past it, and thus not developing pressure to activate the throw-out bearing (slave). If no fluid leak is visible under the clutch housing, I'm betting on the master cyl. being the culprit here. imp

On my 94 there is a black rubber piece on the drivers side that removes to look at the clutch and slave. If there is any sign of fluid in there, well first off any sign of brake fluid your slave is bad, red would be your front seal on your trans, it might look purple as it does get burned up, and if you see engine oil in there your rear seal is leaking. If your clutch plate becomes contaminated with any oil of any sort it will get all crappy like when a wheel cylinder goes out and you pull off the drum to see slimy brake shoes. If you need a clutch too I would go ahead and get a clutch kit, they come with the clutch master, slave cylinder, pressure plate, clutch plate, and alignment tool.

Quick update: got under the truck checked for fluid, didn't see any, pulled off the rubber cover on the trans to see if fluid came out & none did. Disconnected the quick-connect from the slave cylinder & depressed the clutch pedal numerous times, still no pressure, leading me to believe it is the master cylinder. Right now I'm attempting to get the master cylinder out, & it is a PITA to get to lol
Thanks for all of your help again guys :D

For one, take a flashlight and shine it in the hole and see if there is any signs of leakage. And for two, that quick connect is just that. Think of an air hose in a shop if you disconnect the air tool the fitting doesn't let all the air just dump out, it seals it in. A similar action occurs when disconnecting the slave cylinder. The slave seals itself as does the clutch master. If your firewall doesn't have fluid leaking down where the rod connects in from the pedal, your slave should be fine. DO NOT DAMAGE THE LINE!!! check to make sure the rubber hose part of it isn't cracked or dry-rotting mine was still good, but i checked on a price for a new one and they aren't cheap. Just a heads up.

EDIT:
I meant to say if your firewall doesn't have fluid leaking down where the rod leaks down from the pedal, your clutch master should be fine.

Ok guys, got it fixed. It was the clutch master cylinder. It wasn't leaking fluid, just worn out I guess. Put the new one in & everything works great now. Again, thanks for all of your help
BTW, this is a great video on how to bleed the new master:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNTDGwcjZc

EDIT:
I meant to say if your firewall doesn't have fluid leaking down where the rod leaks down from the pedal, your clutch master should be fine.

Any one know how to remove the rod from the master cylinder.

Back