HELP! Won't start, just CLACK CLACK CLACK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Won't start, just CLACK CLACK CLACK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

battery might be low.....guess it all depends on how long the stereo was on.....and it says in your sig you have a stereo system, does your amp pull quite a bit of power from the battery? its always worth a shot...try getting it jumped first

Get a voltmeter and check out how many volts your battery is putting it. I believe it should somewhere in the neighboorhood of 12.4 volts or something. I'm guessing the battery is drained enough. Try jumping it.

if thats not it.......could be the starter also.....but its hard to tell cause we dont really know what "CLACK CLACK CLACK" sounds like to you

Yup, probably just killed the battery.

hmmm... worked on stereo with engine off and now it won't start... wonder if the battery's dead:rolleyes:

:chug: :chug:

optima yellow, or any other deep celled battery so this doesnt happen again :)

depends on what kinda battery you have if u need to replace it. sure, its bad to deep cycle a battery repeatedly, but it depends on the make. i have an autozone battery and i accidentally drain that sucker at least once a week and i have no problems with it. MO_GUY is right, if you have a system and repeatedly work on it with the engine off, you should probably get a yellow top(im just too lazy/poor to go out and get one)
also, its good practice to start the car ever hour or so and let it run for a couple of mins to recharge.(just make sure you have enough ventilation!)

haha...i was in the same boat as you a couple weeks ago. I was in the car with my radio on fooling around with my gf and the radio just cut off...i knew it was the battery. Luckily, she was parked next to me and we jumped it. I was sooo embarrassed!

-=bmacd=-

EDIT: If I would have read all the posts, I would have seen that it had been fixed... :rolleyes:

BTW, Optima is a good choice.

Back