• Register Today It's free!

Help!!

Andres629

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Ranger
I have a 92 Explorer XLT 4x4 with a large problem; it will not turn left. I took it to a garage and they told me that it was the gearbox, so I changed it. That did not work. Upon closer inspection, it seems that where the steering column connects to the splined shaft bind together (as in the steering column actually connects with the gearbox). What causes this is not known to me. However, it appears that the splined shaft protruding from the gearbox moves in and out when I steer. It steers like it should to the right, but then to the left, it binds. Oh, should I mention that in order for ANYTHING to happen, the steering wheel must first turn approx. 90 degrees with no resistance, and no result. Again, I consulted a local mechanic (actually, three!) and they are all baffled. They came up with the only other concievable option...it must be the steering column. Does anybody have any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you had the box out did you try to turn the wheel all the way from lock to lock?

Yes, I tried that. I took the box out, and I turned the wheel. However, it never locked going either way.

If the column spun freely without the box in place I would look at the suspension. Disconnect your steering shaft at the box. Jack the front of the truck and turn the wheels from side to side to see if there is any bind in the linkages. You just have to go through a process of elimination.

Ok, so turn the wheels by hand like? You mean just push the wheels side to side and see what goes on? 'Cause that's the impression I am under.

Yep, exactly.

I did what you said. The tires go from side to side smoothly. However, I noticed that the splined shaft coming out of the gearbox retracts back into the gearbox itself when I pushed the wheels one way, and it came back out when I pulled them back. So I am thinking it is not suspension. Any thoughts?

Back