Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help

REDNECKGIRL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 FORD EXPLORER EDDIE
My son just bought his first financed vehichle. After having for a day the battery died and wouldn't recharge. We thought it was the alternator so we replaced it. Then we put a new battery in it last night. He drove it on and off today, and then it died. Dead battery again!!!!!!! It is a 1998 ford explorer eddie bower. Any ideas what this might be??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My son just bought his first financed vehichle. After having for a day the battery died and wouldn't recharge. We thought it was the alternator so we replaced it. Then we put a new battery in it last night. He drove it on and off today, and then it died. Dead battery again!!!!!!! It is a 1988 ford explorer eddie bower. Any ideas what this might be??????

I'm thinking a short of some kind or something is staying on and draining the battery. It's hard to say but if you've replaced both the alt and battery then there's only wires left. I'm sure if the belt was slipping on the alt pulley you'd hear it. You could take it up to an autozone or parts store and have them check it out. Most of the time the guys working there don't know to much but maybe you'll get lucky.

Welcome! If it's financed, and there is a warranty, make sure where he bought it from is aware of this problem. Before you do anything, let them know...

Yeah could be something staying on. Like if the previous owner installed a "stereo system" (whatever that is :)), then maybe the amplifier or whatever isn't being turned off when the key is removed.

Ah, back in the day!

O/g oem

Attachments

• s_hifi4.jpg
    s_hifi4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 190

Is that a record player? if so did it come with anti skip? hehe

Full record player... :) A sides and B sides, don't know if it played full albums or just 45s.

There doesn't appear to be anything put in it after market. There is no warranty as he bought it from an individual. Tried to see if anything appeared to be staying on, but didn't find anything. Autozone tested alternator and said it was good, they are the ones who suggested the new battery we bought.

Mine was the negative battery cable... Even though it would tighten, it loosened itself. If you can move the cable around, it will cause problems. How are the battery terminals?

Got it

Well we figured it out. We charged the new battery back up and he took it (truck and all ) back to auto zone. They tested the new (used) alternator that is on the truck and they said it wasn't charging. He brought the truck home, we took the alternator off and put the original one back on. The original alternator plus the new battery seem to be working fine!!! Who knew?? Apparently it was just the original battery and the alternator couldn't charge it- now with the new battery everything is ok

thanks anyways;)

Always something simple... and WTF is it with all these explorers having electrical problems lately :?

Back