• Register Today It's free!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
okay so i left my explorer 1994 ran it out of gas in the parking lot and then i did transmission work on it, and now when i go to start it NOTHING! I here the fuel pump clicking but i dont here it working I checked the fuse and its fine but Pump Isnt working how can i fix this???? PLEASE HELP!!!!

(yes i did put gas back in)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was working fine though? it was showing no signs of wear im going to try bypassing the fuel cutt of switch

Okay an update I tried bypassing the inertia switch, jumping the fuel pump throught the diagnostic port, Nothin, I might also want to add that my battery is dying and it wont crank but it wont start and no fuel pump when i try to jumpstart it. What can cause my fuel pump to suddenly not work?

Running a tank completely dry can cause the pump to overheat since it is no longer immersed in gas. When you jumpered the inertia switch, did you verify that you are getting power to the interia switch? If you are, this would rule out the PCM and fuel pump relays as well as the ignition. That only leaves you with 2 options... the wiring between the interia switch and the fuel pump, and the fuel pump itself. Try beating on the gas tank with a rubber hammer. Sometimes you can temporarily jolt the pump back to life.

Running a tank completely dry can cause the pump to overheat since it is no longer immersed in gas. When you jumpered the inertia switch, did you verify that you are getting power to the interia switch? If you are, this would rule out the PCM and fuel pump relays as well as the ignition. That only leaves you with 2 options... the wiring between the interia switch and the fuel pump, and the fuel pump itself. Try beating on the gas tank with a rubber hammer. Sometimes you can temporarily jolt the pump back to life.

Marangtop is on the money.. :thumbsup: As he stated the fuel pump is actually cooled by being immersed in Gas. Running on empty all the time will heat up the fuel pump more and cause it's premature demise.

Ah, Well tomorrow i will try beating on the tank, But if that does not work, I will have to cut an access hole because i live in an apartment and The office would give me a hard time over it, Any guidelines on cutting an access hole? and do i need any tools to remove it?
Thanks this is really helping!

Ah, Well tomorrow i will try beating on the tank, But if that does not work, I will have to cut an access hole because i live in an apartment and The office would give me a hard time over it, Any guidelines on cutting an access hole? and do i need any tools to remove it?
Thanks this is really helping!

There are a few threads with detailed info and pics on how to cut an access hole to remove the fuel pump.

There is a really good thread i have been looking at but They dont really say what tools to use and all i have is a dremel, and a grinder with a cutting wheel and Im worried about Cutting through fuel lines and starting a fire

I would use an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade.. A dremel/rotary tool should also work ok, but may take a little longer because of it's size. If you were replacing a leaking fuel line then I'd use a fan to blow across the area to prevent explosive fumes from building up. Its always a good idea to keep a blanket and fire extinguisher at the ready..

Sounds good, Thanks a lot this has helped!

so an update i cut a hole and got the locking ring off the fuel sender but where do the wires going into the fuel sender disconnect and is there an easy way of getting the fuel lines off? thanks

There is a plug by the rear diff that you disconnect for the wires, as for the fuel lines you need a special tool to disconnect those I believe they are like 10 bucks at the auto parts store for the plastic ones.

Hope that helps

Back