• Register Today It's free!

Help

LukeS 2000xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Arrowbear California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer xlt
when i make slow, sharp turns my front wheels feel like they are hopping and the whole front end jolts, anyone have any ideas?..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you might be in 4x4 ?

That's exactly what it is. And, if your dash selector is in Auto mode, you may very well be looking at a transfer case rebuild. Been thru it all with mine.

I know my 4low switch doesn’t work, maybe the whole switch is broken possibly?

You can only hope it's something that simple...but, it rarely is.

A little info on your driving habits might help with diagnosis. Have you been switching the dash selector on a frequent basis...or, did you just let it sit in Auto mode? I'm guessing you put it in 4HI or 4LO and it's now stuck in 4WD. Are you running same size/same make/same tread depth tires on all four corners? It's imperative that you do on these vehicles. What about maintenance on the transfer case; i.e fluid changes, (2) Halls effect sensors, wiring harness, shift motor?

You can only hope it's something that simple...but, it rarely is.

A little info on your driving habits might help with diagnosis. Have you been switching the dash selector on a frequent basis...or, did you just let it sit in Auto mode? I'm guessing you put it in 4HI or 4LO and it's now stuck in 4WD. Are you running same size/same make/same tread depth tires on all four corners? It's imperative that you do on these vehicles. What about maintenance on the transfer case; i.e fluid changes, (2) Halls effect sensors, wiring harness, shift motor?

Ditto, and play with the switch if you can to get it back into A4WD, out of 4WD. Do it stopped and in a straight line. The tire question is the most common answer these days, people let old vehicle tires get worn unevenly, which kills the TC. If it's just the tires then you might do okay by controlling the brown wire manually while the tires don't match.

I just bought the truck about a month ago or so, so I have no records of previous maintenance. But I do have matching tires all the way around how ever it was far from close when I got it. I recently went into 4wd to get through a little snow but it did not do this before then.

Search “brown wire mod”. Check this wire for voltage while parked and running. If there’s voltage on it the transfer case is being told to be in 4wd high as opposed to 4 auto.

We installed mud flaps on the front awhile back. We turned the steering wheel to one side for easier access without the engine running. Next thing we see and smell is power steering fluid. Evidently it's a no-no when not running on Fords. We had similar symptoms driving even after topping off the fluid. A few lock-to-lock turns at rest on gravel cured the shuddering issue we had inflicted.

Just a thought.
Good luck.

Team TARDIS

How to Troubleshoot a Car That Shudders When Turning | YourMechanic Advice

Back