Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help

Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 4.6 v8
own a 20002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 V8 AWD. Drive Shaft off due to noise and is now Rwd. Transmission has been rebuilt, Engine has been rebuilt. I dont want to sell because i feel i am invested. Also i dont want a new car new payment car. Well any how went to change spark-plugs, and spark-plug in cylinder 4 is not catching thread......took to a mechanic shop and discovered that cylinder has an insert already inside...... in order to fix intake manifold and other parts must be disassembled to fix issue. Are there any other alternates to fixing this with out coughing up so much bread.....
I researched a Cal-Van kit that looks very credible, but how do i get the previous insert out without dealing more damage to heads

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

own a 20002 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 V8 AWD. Drive Shaft off due to noise and is now Rwd. Transmission has been rebuilt, Engine has been rebuilt. I dont want to sell because i feel i am invested. Also i dont want a new car new payment car. Well any how went to change spark-plugs, and spark-plug in cylinder 4 is not catching thread......took to a mechanic shop and discovered that cylinder has an insert already inside...... in order to fix intake manifold and other parts must be disassembled to fix issue. Are there any other alternates to fixing this with out coughing up so much bread.....
I researched a Cal-Van kit that looks very credible, but how do i get the previous insert out without dealing more damage to heads

The cal van kit has the largest inserts so chances are if it’s blown out once you’ll want the cal van so it doesn’t again I used to cal van kit 40,000 or so miles again and haven’t had an issue. Best left to a mechanic if you don’t have much experience though. But last things last go to another mechanic because you DO NOT have to take the intake off you should only have to move some wires and unplug some things not really sure why he wants to rip the entire intake off but I wouldn’t trust him if he needs to pull the intake for this job.

also the old insert will just be drilled out and the shards blown out with compressed air. And unless you have some other 4.6 than my 2002 mountaineer you just have to move wires you don’t touch anything else maybe the air box if it’s the plug under it but intake manifold seems completely unnecessary and yeah sorry it is very expensive but the cal van kit is your best bet especially if it’s already blown out once as it’s the largest kit that’s made as far as I’m aware

Hmm I got the same motor in a crown vic idk if the coil will even fit down that hole..... Use this method heli_coils r so popular out here do this urself just like the video and dont over ...over torque it...stay calm this works

Do it inside the insert.

Don't remove anything but the coil pack

Hmm I got the same motor in a crown vic idk if the coil will even fit down that hole..... Use this method heli_coils r so popular out here do this urself just like the video and dont over ...over torque it...stay calm this works

Do it inside the insert.

Don't remove anything but the coil pack

I’d stay away from those helicoils I had one in for about 3 months before it blew back out and almost trashed the entire head. The cal van has been in for about 40,000 now. Also you can get the cal van kit used and the inserts in some kits are the only “correct” way to fix it. Those helicoils are kind of gamble especially with these heads. Over the the f150 forums they complain about them leaking or just plain shooting out again like I experienced. If you go over to eBay you should be able to get a cal van kit used I got mine for $60 3 inserts were used but I only needed one and now have 4 extra. Also if you can’t find the cal van I saw timesert makes a pretty solid kit from what I’ve heard, it’s a lot more budget friendly aswell at around $60-80 new. But I’d stay away from those helicoils especially with the timesert kit being so cheap or you will be back using one of those kits anyways.

I’d stay away from those helicoils I had one in for about 3 months before it blew back out and almost trashed the entire head. The cal van has been in for about 40,000 now. Also you can get the cal van kit used and the inserts in some kits are the only “correct” way to fix it. Those helicoils are kind of gamble especially with these heads. Over the the f150 forums they complain about them leaking or just plain shooting out again like I experienced. If you go over to eBay you should be able to get a cal van kit used I got mine for $60 3 inserts were used but I only needed one and now have 4 extra. Also if you can’t find the cal van I saw timesert makes a pretty solid kit from what I’ve heard, it’s a lot more budget friendly aswell at around $60-80 new. But I’d stay away from those helicoils especially with the timesert kit being so cheap or you will be back using one of those kits anyways.
Dude what if he isn't a mechanic and just wanted to pop something in the only "correct" way to fix it is a new head. Yea heli coil isn't perfect but it's not going to trash any heads takes 2 minutes to pop in.

U want to blow some money real quick and most likely damage the head by attempting to rethread the plug hole that's ALREADY had who knows how many inserts or what size?

U want to blow some money real quick and most likely damage the head by attempting to rethread the plug hole that's ALREADY had who knows how many inserts or what size?
That’s what the kit is designed for.

I mean you can use helicoils but if he rebuilt the motor just do it the right way helicoils do not last especially on these motors

Dude what if he isn't a mechanic and just wanted to pop something in the only "correct" way to fix it is a new head. Yea heli coil isn't perfect but it's not going to trash any heads takes 2 minutes to pop in.
It takes 2 minutes but it also almost destroyed my head after failing after 3 months of gentle driving so yes they are junk and stay away the cal van kit is designed to be used by anyone I’m not a mechanic I did it here I am 40,000 later.

I’m not arguing it’s just a known fact helicoils are a gamble especially with these heads

And the cal van kit is dealer approved and used so it actually is considered the correct way

Seems to me like I might be a mechanic lol I wouldn't trust either to be honest w/u I never said it WONT shoot out in a massive fireball of fuel injection as ur cruisin down the freeway because most likely they both will at some point. If you feel comfortable drilling/reaming out the head, why not? The heli coil is trash but it's quick and very...very easy... Honestly can you say the thread insert kit 100% wont pop out? Especially since it already has a trashed hole and already installed insert? Ron got paid by calvan trust me the video is a plug... That wrong kit in the video is NOT for aluminum heads heli coil is. Again probably could do in 30 seconds no drilling... When that fails, would probably still NEVER use any insert. Also omg that thing is huge ...to this video talks all kinds of trash about thread inserts but they use one ?just another brand threaded in. In the real world the head is super brittle this won't be perfect. Idc about the hat or thickness... U could thread in any insert any brand... What cal van gives u a tap / reamer to go with it? Ok let me ask u... What position r we going to be in when that shoots out? Screwed nowhere to go from there but a new head. He says put in weld on it when it comes out when replacing plugs.... Um hell no jb on my heads lol. I can't trust this guy we need a more reliable source. He even said he dosnt like lifted trucks....anyway he only did it once 6 months ago....trash

Seems to me like I might be a mechanic lol I wouldn't trust either to be honest w/u I never said it WONT shoot out in a massive fireball of fuel injection as ur cruisin down the freeway because most likely they both will at some point. If you feel comfortable drilling/reaming out the head, why not? The heli coil is trash but it's quick and very...very easy... Honestly can you say the thread insert kit 100% wont pop out? Especially since it already has a trashed hole and already installed insert? Ron got paid by calvan trust me the video is a plug... That wrong kit in the video is NOT for aluminum heads heli coil is. Again probably could do in 30 seconds no drilling... When that fails, would probably still NEVER use any insert. Also omg that thing is huge ...to this video talks all kinds of trash about thread inserts but they use one ?just another brand threaded in. In the real world the head is super brittle this won't be perfect. Idc about the hat or thickness... U could thread in any insert any brand... What cal van gives u a tap / reamer to go with it? Ok let me ask u... What position r we going to be in when that shoots out? Screwed nowhere to go from there but a new head. He says put in weld on it when it comes out when replacing plugs.... Um hell no jb on my heads lol. I can't trust this guy we need a more reliable source. He even said he dosnt like lifted trucks....anyway he only did it once 6 months ago....trash
Run down to vato zone get a heli coil first it's not a standard cheap ass insert it's like a spring kinda.

U gotta use jb weld or loctite? Omg how funny

The kit will not fail if it’s installed properly. And that video is one source of many go my friend helicoils are junk and that’s the end of it. Look anywhere literally anywhere and you will find helicoils are junk. I’d use one on my lawn mower and nothing else.

Run down to vato zone get a heli coil first it's not a standard cheap ass insert it's like a spring kit
Please do more research before recommending a product that will cause more damage than it fixes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U gotta use jb weld or loctite? Omg how funny
You recommend a skinny spring my friend loctite is used everywhere. Unless you’ve had a helicoil in for 40,000 miles like this cal van insert please stop recommending it. That helicoil will fail.

Back