Helper spring coils on an explorer??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helper spring coils on an explorer???

eXcali

Reaction score
City, State
Bourbonnais, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
I was out and about the other day and I came across some bolt-on helper spring coils for the rear axle. They have a mounting perch on both sides, one bolts to the frame and the other uses a ubolt and perch to mount to the rear axle.

Has anyone tried these out on an explorer? It was manufactured for an F150but looked like it would fit, even if you had to hack a couple inches off of it. It also increases the load capacity by 1,500 lbs which would be awesome when towing a boat or large trailer.

My only worry is that it would stiffen up the rear end a little to much reducing cornering, but from the ease of install it may be worth it to slap them on and off just for towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they might be okay for towing,, but i would doubt using them every day, sure it will keep the readend up, and make it a bit better on the highway , and add towing capability
now the down side,, it makes the ride a bunch stiffer i bet, and takes away any flex as the coild will bind when they get closed up,

they might be okay for towing,, but i would doubt using them every day, sure it will keep the readend up, and make it a bit better on the highway , and add towing capability
now the down side,, it makes the ride a bunch stiffer i bet, and takes away any flex as the coild will bind when they get closed up,

I was thinking about the coil binding as well, I might look into it for towing applications only. I've never heard of anyone using these on an explorer so I was just wondering if anyone tried it out.
I used to tow a 18ft boat 500 miles each summer and always hated the front end up high and the back down low ruining any chance of MPG gains.

i bought and installed timbrens which are a hollow massive bump stop rubber thing! they bolted in place of my stock bumpstops and i lowered the car (4 group 31 batteries all the way at the rear, sub box enclosure, and 2 50lb subwoofers) and soon as it touched the timbrem it stopped there, granted still an inch of drop but it rides amazing!

just something to think about

i bought and installed timbrens which are a hollow massive bump stop rubber thing! they bolted in place of my stock bumpstops and i lowered the car (4 group 31 batteries all the way at the rear, sub box enclosure, and 2 50lb subwoofers) and soon as it touched the timbrem it stopped there, granted still an inch of drop but it rides amazing!

just something to think about

I currently run a 2 inch front and rear lift, I'm also looking for something to help with the trailer's burden on the rear. The weight on the ball is right about 250-300lbs for the 18 ft boat. This will drop the rear by about 3-4 inches. Beefing up the springs with this bolt-on option would would help to keep the load pretty level and also keep the rear in line thus giving me a little better MPG as I would be pulling the trailer more than dragging it as it feels like when the back end dips. I'm definately looking to go this route, just wondering if someone has tried them in daily driver applications.

Back