Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment

LOL, I don't know how I missed that. I read your post, which clearly says that you went with the Dorman synchronizer, and then I asked if you went with the Dorman... I must be losing it, haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fyi

for anybody with a 95 4.0l ohv with the intregal cam sensor/drive unit. I just replaced mine and you can use a 96 unit that is much more common and less expensive. there are 2 different lengths, I believe the 97 and later, maybe some 96's are longer. the 95 units are very expensive and somewhat hard to come by. to use the 96 you have to change the wiring conector and get one of the special tools ,but it is well worth it. In the future you can just replace the sensor if you need to rather than having to do the whole unit. The sensor part is pretty simple and trouble free though, the drive unit suffers from a lack of enginering on fords part.
part #'s I used are, cam sensor drive unit MTE DA2099, MTW WPT196 electrical conector, 339 LX260T cam sensor. I got these from rock auto and the drive unit and conector were motorcraft and the sensor something else. conector would be a good junk yard item if available.

for anybody with a 95 4.0l ohv with the intregal cam sensor/drive unit. I just replaced mine and you can use a 96 unit that is much more common and less expensive. there are 2 different lengths, I believe the 97 and later, maybe some 96's are longer. the 95 units are very expensive and somewhat hard to come by. to use the 96 you have to change the wiring conector and get one of the special tools ,but it is well worth it.

If you could do us all a favor and post pictures or part numbers, I will edit the 1st post
Thanks for the info

i have the infamous squeak, but when i turn on my a/c the squeak stops until the a/c is fully kicked on... then it comes back. anyone else notice this quirk too?

i have the infamous squeak, but when i turn on my a/c the squeak stops until the a/c is fully kicked on... then it comes back. anyone else notice this quirk too?

Your squeak is probably the A/C compressor or a belt.

Ok, new addition to the sound diagnosis... it does go away when the a/c is on, but if its still chirping away (i have named the chirp Fred btw) and i put my car in neutral it stops... when i push the clutch Fred keeps singing, but when its in neutral it stops... at stop lights he's quiet, but the minute I start going he starts chirping again.

Ok, new addition to the sound diagnosis... it does go away when the a/c is on, but if its still chirping away (i have named the chirp Fred btw) and i put my car in neutral it stops... when i push the clutch Fred keeps singing, but when its in neutral it stops... at stop lights he's quiet, but the minute I start going he starts chirping again.

manual transmission?

throw-out bearing maybe?
sounds to me like it's coming from the transmission and not the engine compartment

yes its manual... we actually just replaced the input shaft, throw out bearing, clutch plate, both cylinders, had the flywheel surfaced... basically all new transmission inside the stock housing.

it sounds like its coming from the serpentine belt when you open the hood... just not sure which bearing it is.

Well done. Many thanks

Does your explorer-mountaineer have an under hood whine, squeal, chirp, squeak,squeaking, whinning, bird chirp,sqealing, whirring, noise which tests your skills?
Well, it could be the camshaft position sensor drive unit-or cmp synch drive

Remove serpentine belt, run engine briefly, if noise persists with belt off, this is your noise. Camshaft position sensor- CMP synch drive shaft, which is notorious for failure on V-8 engines.

Since the noise is sometimes intermittent, you may want to leave belt off and perform test several times at 10-30 minute intervals, running engine only briefly each time, < 1 minute
If you are satisfied the noise isn't present without belt, rotate each pulley, and idler by hand. This should find any front engine bay, accessory drive, serpentine noise you encounter.
I hope this helps. Video of Camshaft position sensor squeaking below

Thanks to yakuza76 for taking the time to make a you tube video for us--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpToVe0i-8k

Fix it by reading this first

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89670&highlight=camshaft+position+sensor+tool

Well, since mine is a '95, this is not a V8.

Warning warning warning - faulty sensor cap

Please read the below post. You will need to inspect your sensor cap before installation or you will have the same trouble as i did. Higher fuel consumption and random misfire codes. If your original Ford cap is fine then re-use it.

I sourced my Synchro and Sensor cap from Ebay Motors US. I wish to point out i was happy with the sale and support i received from the supplier. I have since found the following

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263749

could the cam synchro fail due to sitting for 10 years. i just installed a 5.0 in my 97 x that has been sitting for that long and i have the squeal. everything else is in new condition. no cel. bad fuel consumption, engine idle is a little sparatic when in drive, but its not missing at all.

could the cam synchro fail due to sitting for 10 years. i just installed a 5.0 in my 97 x that has been sitting for that long and i have the squeal. everything else is in new condition. no cel. bad fuel consumption, engine idle is a little sparatic when in drive, but its not missing at all.

The squeal occurs because the unit is worn out. I did read a post where a guy took his noisey part, re-lubed the moving parts then put it back in and it worked fine.

You probably need to remove the part and lube it up. When installing a newbie, the instructions actually advise you to soak the part in oil for a period (forgot how long) but i left mine overnight.

Do not soak above the stop ring. Only below.

Theres a good chance all the lube dissapeared from your part while not in use.

thannks i'll address it this weekend

Let us know how you go. I think the 5.0 litre synchro is easy access on top. Make sure you use a positioning tool or your timing will be way out of whack. if you dont have one, i recommend you dont touch it til you do.

With the tool its an easy out and in.

i bought mine thru napa, it came with the tool and a new cap.

i'm curious. i loosened the oil fill cap and the squeal went away. if i tighten it the squeal comes back. the pcv valve is good. i bought a new one just in case. can the cam sync cause a vac leak?

Hmmm.. Time to check belts and hoses. I can't think of an obvious reason the cam sync would cause that unless opening the oil filler would change idle speed. Lots of other things to check then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im going out on limb hear, correct me if im wrong please somebody

"Oil pressure"

Is it possible that a change in pressure (removing the cap) causes oil to behave differently and possibly move around the internals a little differently.

From my research on the CPS noise, i am led to believe that oil does not freely pump up to the CPS mechanism. Thats why you have to soak the thing in oil before you install it.

On some engines there is no CPS just an oil pump drive mechanism where the CPS should go. Why an oil pump drive "I dont know" im not that techo minded.

I reckon you should soak the thing in oil and try again.

Make sure you are using the correct oil as well. In Australia, our recommended oil is Castrol Magnatec or similar product. Dont know if you have it over there but it would be worth a check.

Back