Herc: Before & After in One Photo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herc: Before & After in One Photo

I corraled a friend of mine (Joe B., who also has a '99 Wedgewood blue Eddie Bauer) so I could make a side-by-side photograph of our two "identical" vehicles. Before and After in one shot. I wish the lighting was better to show off our blue but it was getting late in the afternoon and our vehicles look kinda black. Guess which one is mine Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Okay, well, I lied about one photo Dead Link Removed. Here's another one from the back. FYI, mine's the taller one.

Dead Link Removed

And one from the front. If I had been thinking while taking the photo at the time, it would have looked cool if I would have turned my six headlights on (headlights, factory driving/fogs, and PIAA 520 Black Fogs) but I had a brain fart. Also, notice the angle in the background. I didn't have the camera level, so mine doesn't look as tall since I photoed Joe's up a few inches at an angle. What can I say; I'm an amateur Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

[Edited by GJarrett on 10-19-2000 at 06:35 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in one word, sweet!!! that is a cool comparison shot. how much lift do you have on your truck?

Gerald,

It is that Moab Edition package you have there... Also your right about the side view mirrors.

Great Pictures.

Total lift including extra tire radius is approximately 6". I have 2" body lift and somewhere around 2"+ suspension lift. My oversize tire radius lifts me beyond that. You can look at that last photo and note that the top of Joe's left side mirror is even with the building roof horizon while the bottom of my ride side mirror clears it. In other words, I can drive close to his side and clear over his mirror without hitting mine. The mirrors are six inches tall, so that's about what total lift I have at the moment. Keep in mind that he has the 16" wheels so he is already taller than other Explorers with the 15" wheels, so he's got more clearance than a stocker too. I honestly don't know what lift I have above a stock 15" rim Explorer with no lift.

PS/ yes, that's the new "Moab Edition" Explorer.

[Edited by GJarrett on 10-19-2000 at 09:20 PM]

PURCHASE ORDER # 1

Dear Mr. Jarrett,

I saw your brochure at the Explorer forum on the Internet and your product absolutely convinced me. I would like to order a "Moab Edition Package" for my Ex-Defender a.s.a.p. Please let me know your general sales conditions so I can pass you my purchase order...

Imagine if we would be able to order an Explorer like Gerald's!

Herc really looks great. Is this your HiLift jack you have on the roof there? How did you attach it? Any pics by any chance?

Michael, click on "Gerald's Truck" in my signature and the first photo in my Registry has a pretty good shot of the HiLift on my stock OEM roof rack. I used the standard horizontal HiLift mounting bracket you can buy for $20-$25 and drilled some holes in my roof racks and mounted the mounting brackets sideways on them. Works just fine. The HiLift base just slips into a little hook and I was afraid it may want to slip out since it is laying sideways on it instead of hanging down off of it, but it locks in there pretty good. As an extra precaution I use a length of black ziptie to hold it down on the bracket at the brace. I'll take a closeup picture tonight if you want me to and put it in this post this weekend, so re-read this post later.

"Moab Edition Ford Explorer" - the day Ford put's PIAA lights and BF Goodrich tires on there Explorers is the day people finally stop complaining about the fog lights and tires :).

I looked at your signature after I wrote my post, and I just saw the zip ties ...

I think I'm gonna do the same thing; like this, I will not have the airodynamical disadvantage of a roof rack (as if this would matter!!!). Considering that the fuel tank and the whole 175 lbs of me are on the left side, I will put it on the right side though.

Only 175 lbs???,...the last time I weighed that much was as a sophmore in high school.... :D

It Could Be Worse Goober, you could Weight only 140lbs like me.

Rod,

I am working on that. I know some one that can do it but it might be a few days...

All Right, Gerald. Man, you and Ray are really showing me up. That picture really shows the lift well. Nice job!

your truck looks great

Where did you get a 2" body lift?

Tom, there's not a thing either Ray or I have done that you can't. How are you on responding to peer pressure? If you're not rich like Ray and poor like me you can cheap out like I did. Well, Ray used to be rich. I don't think he is anymore. Dead Link Removed

The most expensive thing on my vehicle is the tires, and you've already got yours. The lift is cheap:

Body lift $80
Shackles $40
Add-A-Leaf $27
Longer Torsion Bolt $ 3

Well, it does take a heckuva lot of labor and "making things work". You've already got the extreme limited slip rear to take you where you want to go. A little more lift to clear those pesky obstacles and you are good to go.

Eric, I used a Performance Accessories body lift for 91-94 Explorers and "made it work".

Tom,
You are a single man. You shouldn't have any problems spending your cash on your truck. I on the other hand, have to make sure it is Aesthetically pleasing for my Wife, or I can't spend the money. I just had to go out and have some rock sliders/stepbars made up so she could get into the truck. Do you have any idea how much this is going to cost?
I could hve gotten away with little to nothing for some rocksliders, but NO she need stepbars so she can get into the truck and they HAVE TO LOOK GOOD!
All you need is a 2" body lift and a Atlas II transfercase.
Then get you a winch and winch guard and your all set up.

2" body lift $75.00
Atlas II transfercase $2300.00
winch and winch guard $1500.00
PIAA Pro 80XT's $250.00

This might be the wrong place to ask this, but you both have the experiance. I had the add a leaf and took it out because it made a vibration at 20 mph when accelerating. Sort of like a shudder, the same shudder a torque converter makes when it's about to go. I took it out and now it doesn't vibrate as much, but if I hit the gas hard it's more noticable. Should I have the dealer check this out or is this a typical explorer vibration?

I can't answer that except to say that mine hasn't ever done it, either now with the add a leafs or before without them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the add a leafs didn't shudder, but something doees. I am wondering if it has something to do with that 3rd shock deal. I can't tell if it's the rear end or the tranny.

Back