• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Herculiner ? Should I put running Boards back on?

WECALLHERDORA

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ltd
Hello. I am new to body work so please bear with my stupid question! I am having alot of rust pop up at the line where my running boards are. I would like to sand this rust off and put in some type of herculiner or something similiar. My question is this, after herculiner is on can running boards be reattached no problem? I know many people hate the running boards, but I am small and need them to stand on to buckle in a kid in the middle seatbelt. For me they do serve a purpose!! any info is helpful. also best sanding tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
As long as you tape off the mounting holes/surfaces and dont get it in the threads of the bolts you should be alright.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
just know this herc WILL NOT stop rust

churd69

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Silverado Z71
MONMIX said:
just know this herc WILL NOT stop rust

Nor will it easily be removed from the hootus.

-Rich

WECALLHERDORA

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ltd
Is there something that will stop the rust or slow it down? Michigan winters are going to be the death of us!!

WECALLHERDORA

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ltd
I dont have to worry about that, as I dont have a Hootus!

churd69

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Silverado Z71
WECALLHERDORA said:
I dont have to worry about that, as I dont have a Hootus!

ah, so you discovered the hootus thread! I'm sure you can get something to stop the rust, i believe rustoleum makes a product, then just put the herculiner over that.

-Rich

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The other bad part about putting the hurc over the rust is it will hide it, but the rust will still grow.
As MONMIX has said, you can slow rust down some but it won't ever go away.